bobber fishing question / opinion

Posted by: GREATLKS STEELSLAMMER

bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 01:03 PM

I have been doing alot of bobber fishing for steel head this fall/winter and have only use lead head jigs. my question is what else have you guys used under bobbers for steel & salmon? thanks in advance for your comments...
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 01:09 PM

One technique that works is to have a driftfishing setup below a bobber. You have the pencil lead and leader below the bobber. Usually this method is used when using bait like shrimp and eggs. In B.C. everything is fished below a bobber like this.
Posted by: Jaydee

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 02:18 PM

Bait.

Specificly eggs. I'll use this setup in clear situations with low flows very much like those Great Lakes tribs. Ofcourse, rules apply.
One of my fishing partners is from Pittsburg PA and fished steel in the Great Lakes region prior to moving here in WA. He swore by a black nymph, and some weight under a bobber. Kinda like nymph fishing stream trout with a fly rod and a strike indicator. But here he mostly swore, and adapted to NW tried a true techniques.
Pink Worm.
He also never saw a steelie over 12lbs 'till moving to the left coast either.
What's this I hear about Great Lk steelheaders using freeze dried minnows for steel, and with success?? I wouldn't try them here, but I was curious.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 02:37 PM

One of my favorites, and the steelheads favorites too, is bobber/eggs with a small corky and a little piece of split shot right above the corky to hold it down.

fishy
Posted by: rln

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 02:59 PM

let's see,Hmmmmmmm, roe,sand shrimp,pink worms, spinners, wool ties, gooey bobs,single eggs, etc. About the only thing we don't fish under a float in B.C. are plugs. It all works just gotta get out and try the different stuff.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 03:45 PM

I NEVER fish anything under a bobber. I do however love to fish, jigs, eggs, sand shrimp, and pinkworms under a float.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 04:25 PM

LOL Dave,
Its all in the presentation... literally!

I watched a guy fishing a backeddy, using nothing but eggs under a float, hook silvers like he fishing in a trout pond...

He made a believer out of me!
Posted by: GREATLKS STEELSLAMMER

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 04:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the replys, lots of good info. Jaydee here in michigan we have alot of 12# steelhead, and yes I have heard of some float fisherman using "salted" freeze dried minnows. Never tryed it so i can't speak to it. Dave right after i posted i knew someone would kick my butt on the "bobber" remark
Posted by: Theking

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 04:33 PM

Hey Dave did the kids tease you about bobber fishing when you were a kid? :-) When I was a kid it was about the worst thing you could be called ,besides a sissy:-)

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 06:28 PM

The King:

Naw they never teased me about being a bobber fisherman. They had plenty of other ammo. Have you seen my picture?

But ya know I ended up with a great wife, a job that lets me fish all over the world and a ton of great fishing buddies. I guess its true; It's better to be lucky than good!

Happy New Year to all. Even CFM and Grandpa. . I guess. (;-)
Posted by: cowlitzfisherman

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 06:50 PM

Back to you Dave laugh
thumbs

Happy New years too!

You too grandpa! laugh

Cowlitzfisherman
Posted by: Adipose Soup

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 06:59 PM

Don't tell me, Vedder--neither would you deign to fish with a "pole." Nay, nay, only a "rod." Writers--sheesh! laugh

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 07:40 PM

Adipose:

Sure I would fish with a pole, or an indian, German, whatever. but I have had some pretty strange trips with an Italian named Nick..
Posted by: downtime

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 07:42 PM

I see you are from Michigan Gl. steelheader. I will be heading there in about 30min for a week. I plan on fishing the betsie, PM, and the Big Manistee. If you see three guys fishing center pins, say hi. Any ways for baits this time of year, white tubes tipped with waxies are deadly, two waxies on a small hook especially for pressured fish has been the only way to go in Wi for the past couple of weeks, or anything that the fly fishermen use can be very productive. And of couse roe bags are an old stand by. But basically anything you can think of to drift can be fished under a float.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 12/31/03 09:19 PM

Quote:
but I have had some pretty strange trips with an Italian named Nick..
He must have slowed down some in his old age..........he's never even burned anything down when I was with him. laugh

Although..........I DID get so wasted the last time I was down there that I forgot free videos on "float" and drift fishing. I guess there's some other nut that fishes with the crazy Italian on the drift fishing vid? wink

I used to fish with a "pole" all the time. He went by the name of Rapacz. laugh
Posted by: Theking

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 01/02/04 02:31 PM

Dave,

i hope you could see my smiley face :-) and that I was referencing the red and white plastic bobbers. Those and pop gear were greatly frowned upon by my fly fishing grandpa and were not to be found in the tackle box or boat .

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 01/02/04 03:41 PM

Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: bobber fishing question / opinion - 01/02/04 07:44 PM

Reminds me on how I got hooked on fishing. Except the limit was/is only 5 and the average size is 9". laugh