GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC

Posted by: West End Joe

GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/27/04 12:38 PM

Not very impressed with the owner of the (SKAGIT SLAYER) painted on there boat.Never seen anyone I new that needed a gas motor to pull plugs (on the duc).Then they blow by me while I was fishing my hole with there motor wide open going DOWN STREAM with a wake big enough to rock my boat.Didn't think this was even legal? NEXT I SEE HIM WE WILL TALK ABOUT THIS.
Posted by: gilly

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/27/04 04:35 PM

I watched him grind down the lower end of the bogey a few weeks back. I share your thoughts, was nearly washed into the bushes by his wake.
Posted by: Bob

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/30/04 07:39 PM

It's caught the attention of many out this way. While legal, it's certainly inappropriate and not very welcome.

I have a feeling that before long, he'll get some subtle hints \:\)
Posted by: Walkndadog

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/30/04 08:04 PM

Hope he has a spare trailer close by!

DOGOFF!
Posted by: Sol

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/30/04 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Walkndadog:
Hope he has a spare trailer close by!
I'll bet someone in Forks has a cutting torch someone else could borrow. ;\)
Posted by: seastrike

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/30/04 08:22 PM

When I'm driftin I don't like motors either but it doesn't sound very friendly out there :-)

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/30/04 10:06 PM

Makes it hard to get a picture of that Nate being held in the water with a three foot wake coming at ya!
Posted by: Bustinbig

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 11/30/04 11:54 PM

i do not believe it is a matter of friendly or not. there is a time and a place for gas motors, i for one do not think the peninsula rivers are it !!! just my 2 pennys worth.
Posted by: w. coyote

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 12:16 AM

Was this a drift boat with a kicker motor on it or a full blown sled?
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 02:34 AM

if i were that guy i'd watch out, the OP is not gas motor friendly (electrics are fine), this guy should be afraid of more than his rig gettin screwed over.....
Posted by: fuzzy

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 02:49 AM

you guys crack me up
hopefully he wires his rig for local vandals
i know i do:)
i've only lost two cam's out of six in 8 years and some local bad boy's arn't near as bad anymore
just because you disagree with his boat being there?
it's not illegal
you messing with his gear?
bad karma guys
really bad karma
fwiw
i wouldn't bring a sled on the bogie or sol either
but this guy has every right to be there as you do
i thought fishing was supposed to be fun?
Posted by: BennyBlack

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 03:48 AM

Well stated fuzz.

I wouldn't run a sled up there either, thats just me though.

I bet most people don't have the sack for the kind of action they imply anyhow.

I guess time will tell.
Posted by: Erik

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 10:33 AM

The guy has every right to use a motor whether I/ we agree with it or not. The problem is it seems his reason for using the motor is so he can win boat races. A couple of weeks ago I dropped down from the upper river to find this guy in the Tall Timbers hole. It was fairly late in the day and except for a few bankies there wasn't anyone around except our boat and his. As soon as he saw me coming he hit the power trim and electric start and took off for the tail Crescent. What really ticked me off was that he motored right down through the slots. We passed him while he was pulling plugs in the Crescent hole and went on down. He passed us again in the Ice Box hole doing about 15 knots. To go through the riffle below there he killed the motor and hit the power trim. Once through the riffle he started her back up and hit the throttle. When we came around the corner where we could see the bridge he was just getting ready to let the plugs out under it. It was like the blood in our boat hit boiling point because we all began yelling for him to get oout of the hole at the same time. He took off immediately and we didn't see him again. Like I said before, if he wants to use a motor- fine but use some common courtesy and realize that guys are watching him. I personally wouldn't engage in vandalizing his belongings. However, if it happens again he might engage himself in a game of 'hungry hippo' with pencil lead coming his way...maybe pyramid sinkers
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 10:48 AM

i think the person you are talking about is my neighbor. we fish together and respect all people on the river!!!

if you boys have a problem with us come up and say someting...make our day : )

just because we slay all of the fish and you cant catch many dont be hating!!

as far as the threats to our rigs i dont think any of you would be so dumb to touch them..there could be a big surprise hehehe

will i have to get going now to get my gear together to catch many big steelies in our favorite river!!

p.s if you need fishing lessons please feeel free to ask us! there not cheap though

tight lines homies :>)

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 11:12 AM

sky # er:

There were a number of ways you could have responded on this thread...and the comments in your post, above...were definately in the "Things not to say" column.

Didya know the owner of this site is one of the guides on that river???

You would have been far better off to say: "Gosh guys...I think that is my neighbor's boat...didn't mean to upset anyone. We'll be more careful from now on."

Ever hear of the "Eternal Law of Retribution"?

Sooner or later, IF someone (you?) is trashing the peacefulness of that river, and harassing other driftboaters...and your in a powerboat...you and your buddy will get your just desserts...it never fails. No one has to do anything to you...sooner or later you'll do it to yourself.

Adios.

Mike B

p.s. Be sure to wear a PFD out there...

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 11:40 AM

Here we go! Since one J___A__ thinks its OK to run his sled out there, all the others are going to be right behind him.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 12:02 PM

Oooooh boy, this is going to get interesting.

\:D
Posted by: Kyle_A

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 12:16 PM

sky # er. While I don't agree with Sleds on OlyPen rivers, you do have the right to be there. The problem you just created for yourself and your friend is that some people will now think twice about jumping in to help you should you encounter trouble on the river. There are some very good people on this board, some of us do get opinionated at times, but still, people who can save your arse should you encounter trouble on the river. You may want to treat them decently for your own sake.
Posted by: Lunch Time

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 12:34 PM

Things like this always seem to work themsleves out. More than likely it will favor the majority, it always does.

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 12:38 PM

Nice post Kyle.
Sky #'r you are a Jack Of_.
I have now changed my mind on this because of you.
Let the cutting torches burn.
Posted by: Fish Stalker

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 01:47 PM

Do you guys ever see guys side drifting with electrics over there on the Duc and Bogey?
just curious
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sky # er:
p.s if you need fishing lessons please feeel free to ask us! there not cheap though
An obvious troll. Bad one at that, mind you.

Sure hope your "fishing lessons" are much better than your "phishing lessons".

The Big Dawgs are not biting on this one.
Posted by: wolverine

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 03:45 PM

I think that Sky # er is just trying to wind a few tight springs even tighter. Chill out...

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 03:57 PM

Just for that am going to bring my 23' woolridge jet boat there! hehehe j/king

just because there is a river in a remote area that you think is all yours.....guess what? you dont own the river or make the laws.

I just believe that alot of you are jealous that we have been out fishing most you?

Take a chill pill and relax....take a deep breath and let it out slowly fishing is suppose to be fun? remember?

i need to tie some leaders bye bye
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 04:23 PM

Driving 62 in the passing lane all the way home isn't illegal either.............but only a toad would do it.
Posted by: Coho

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 04:41 PM

sky # er---did you go poopy in your pants?

--sorry I have a 1yr old and I like saying that to him.

Dude-I could take a riding lawn mower into a grocery store, I could wear my underwear outside my jeans, I could go play golf at a cemetary-but I dont. The moral majority does not either. Im sure your not the first to sled the OP rivers-yes you can-aint anyone stopping you, but if your skills fishing are that limited and you need the advantage-then by all means-Its your Right--right?

ps. I own a sled and a driftboat. Ill be over there this weekend in my---hmmmm? drift boat Ill say hey if I see ya, would not be hard to figure that one out eh

just having fun fish on
Posted by: Sol

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 04:49 PM

Here comes the padlock.
Posted by: Boonedawg

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 04:57 PM

Thing is theirs a LOT of folks out there who have no idea about common courtesy or manners. Was fishing on the hump this year,had my gear in-between me and my son. Some dude from im sure more than an hours drive comes up steps over my gear bag and crowds between me and my son who was probably 6 feet to my right. I'll tell ya i had to bite my tounge on that one. better yet was when said bunghole decided to wade out and move over infront of my son.....well long story short I rigged up a new set up and drug his gear up and cut the line. Well, I'm 6'2'' 290 and can bench in the neighborhood of 400 lbs and have been boxing since the age of eight. Lets just say he will think 2X before he decides to crowd the natives.
I'm of the impression that most guys out there are decent folks but the a-holes among us are emboldend by the fact that most guys will just walk away when confronted by an azz ho.....Well Mr. A-hole I don't walk away and I actually enjoy teaching martial lessons on gravel bars. Oh yeah remember those other 20 fishermen that you pissed off before you got around to me? They didn't see s@$t.
Posted by: Easy E

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 05:48 PM

Well said Mike B.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 06:12 PM

Can you say "KARMA" it will come full circle in due time.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 06:21 PM

im not saying that its right for sleds to be out on our pristine west end rivers, but i mean this sky # er guy has some balls goin up against the entire population of west end fisherman on this board

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 06:23 PM

ohhh and AMEN STRIKE ZONE, and KYLE A.
Posted by: Brad_tgl

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 06:56 PM

This guy is going to get turned in real soon because a friend of mine saw him tearing up and down the river without his boat registration numbers. If your boat is over twelve feet and over a ten horse then you need those numbers.
This peon won't last long!

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 07:36 PM

To clarify, the boat is a 19 or 20 foot Koffler drifter with a motor on back. It was on the Hatchery drift today and a number of locals asked me about it.

You can be as big & mean or as "prepared" as you want relating to your truck. But remember, this is Forks, and my tires got slashed due to my stance on wild fish ... the same WILL happen if motors come into play.

We've never had a law regarding the issue out here because most people have had enough courtesy to keep these power off these rivers as they've been for a long time.

As far as I know, the only way WDFW can come into this is to enact a selective fishery ... if they continue to run it, I wouldn't be surprised to see a push for it. You think a simple no-kill on wild fish doesn't go over well here?? Try no bait, barbs, power, etc. ... they'll have just about everyone on their tail then.

Bet they don't do as well with their little shrimp baits then ... or it will at least cost THEM a bunch \:\)

Leave the motors on the big rivers where they belong! The vast majority of my guests want toi fish in a no-power setting. If I have to make the proposal for a selctive to keep it that way, so be it.

You'll have these inconsiderate anglers to thank if it goes that route.

PS - regarding the electrics, while you see one once in a while, it's still considered taboo by most while participating in the fishery.
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 08:44 PM

I have seen what happens when the locals get excited sky#er do yourself and your friend a favor and take the motor off and enjoy your day like the rest of us this does not have to be Im bigger or better than you situation their are plenty of fish for all of us and river etiquette for the bogey and solduc are motorless driftboats only this is not a rule just a continuous courtesy for the pass 50 years!!!PEACE

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 09:00 PM

Bob I'd say goodbye to sky#'r if I were you.
Do us all a favor. I just went through his posts...it won't be a big loss.
I still say let the cutting torches burn.

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 10:08 PM

do you think maybe sky#er is not who he says he is? i do not believe you really know this guy. tell you what, why dont you give out his phone number so we can check out your story. how about what make of outboard motor ? give us something!! dont just come on here with a big mouth trying to stir up trouble.
Posted by: ramprat

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/01/04 11:55 PM

My guess is that sky # er has never been on The Solduk river. Needs to have someone pay attention to him and does so by doing anything he can to get people to pay attention to him.
Probably been beaten by a stepfather or has some mental issues that need to be worked out with a counseler.
Just my guess but I really think it best to ignore his posts.
As far as motors on the O.P. I personally enjoy the serenity and quiet solitude of the O.P. rivers. I have a sled but use it for the larger rivers. I have a friend with a drift boat that has a kicker but using it on the O.P. rivers? out of the question.
Just my 02
Ramprat
Posted by: roguesteelheader

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 12:01 AM

Wow I thik I will just stay down here in god's country and fish. We do not put up with jerks like this guy we just deal out a$$ whippings .Come on down to the Rogue bada$$!!!!!!!!
Posted by: h2o

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 12:20 AM

Here's my take, for what it's worth.

I don't see much harm in say, some guy running his small sled in the water below barlowes out to the ocean...

...or some other guy running a motorized boat of some kind in the quillayute. I'd have an ear for say, someone really old or someone with a disability fishing in that water for sure because you're only real competition there would the natives.

The calawah will never see a jet sled and its not likely in the duc either. If a guy is rich enough to afford the $2 a gallon for his rig and his sled for a round trip two day weekend on the Hoh, he's rich enough to afford a guide to row his lazy ass down the river.

Personally I doubt it would be necessary to commit a crime for me to get the idea to cross to anyone I saw doing it....they would definitely have to deal with me if I did though.

So... all the guides know who you are, the word is spreading amongst local fishermen as to who you are and what you look like. This is a small town. THINK about the necessity of what you are doing, whether or not its worth the risk and decide for yourself.
Posted by: SnowDog

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 01:33 AM

Yah! Like h20 said!

SA
Posted by: cupo

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 02:26 AM

I just got home from three days on the Bogey. We never saw them use the motor, but their pushy fishing style wasn't making them any friends. One of my buddies was about at his boiling point yesterday morning when they kept feeding line into our drift and tangling our lines.
Posted by: fuzzy

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 02:57 AM

it's a shame idiots like that make all sled owners look like putzes
and equally a shame when drifter's yell get the cutting torch cause it's a sled
kinda funny when the ignitor of conflict is just a putze with a inbetweener and a crappy attitude
yea he's in a drifter(or so i heard)

h2o i think you made a valid point about location
like on the bogie? from leyendeckers down would be sled plunking and up stream would be drifters with no conflicts of interest
same on the hoh
the sol duc? lol i wouldn't take a cheap drift boat down that let alone a money pit sled

the whole chehalis system including the hump?
now that sled vs drifter issue cracks me up of late
sleds have been common place there for decades and the latest group of boaters seem to like trying intimidation tactics to disuade other boaters from enjoing the resource

in the last few years it's becoming a trend to bash and actively engage in disrespect because of differences in style

we all need to get a grip and realize the caveman attitude is ineffective and spend the energy on more positive aspects of the sport
Posted by: fishtale

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 10:07 AM

Bob
I am not sure if you heard about the sled on the lower Duc and Bogie a bunch of years back
he came back to his rig and his trailer was cut in half by a cutting torch?? He was not a happy camper!!
Posted by: QwikSticks

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 10:11 AM

Sounds like the 20' Black Koffler that was on the hump all October. They are very aggressive in how they fish and will move in instead of move on down if the spot is holding fish. I believe i have heard the owner of the boat referred to under the knickname 'Convict'. I talked to number of boats in October and quite a few had run ins with them and were not to happy about it.
Posted by: Backbouncer

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 10:51 AM

I had Mr. Mullet in the black Koffler cork me twice during my drift on the Hump. I was the bigger person and just decided to move on. There was plenty of fish in the system, and we were tagged out early on sea-liced nooks, so there was no need to get heated over it. Anyways, karma knocked on his door at the take-out as their chevy pickup got stuck in 4-low and they had to drive it that way.

BB

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 11:29 AM

Bob, this is a subject I would work hard for. I'm all for sleds in the right place. But in pristine (no dam, free running) rivers like the Olypen, I'd be up for a law of no motors above a certain point in those rivers. For me (I know, I know, it's all about me!) there is nothing worse than taking a relative or friend for their first drift to introduce them to the beauty and peace of our rivers and having a sled come ripping around the corner straight at you at 20knots. It just spoils the whole vibe. Like Coho said "You could take your riding lawnmower into the grocery store" but why?
Posted by: Theking

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 12:06 PM

I can imagine many that live on peaceful country roads near rivers,lakes and streams feel the same way about the roar of diesel and gas pick ups towing boats from dawn to dusk during the season. Heck there is even a guy above Spokane shooting at and threating people that float the river. He claims much of what many here claim. Over crowding and too much competition for the resource.

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 12:34 PM

TheKing, you bring up a good point. We all want things for ourselves don't we. Hmm.
Posted by: ctflyfish

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 08:41 PM

It's my understanding that WDF&W does not have authority to regulate motors on rivers, but county government does. For example, Clark County prohibits motors on most of the East Fork, Lewis River. I think it would solve lots of problems if Clallam County would take this step. For one thing, it would protect the out-of-area innocent who just haven't been around the OP to learn the no-motor tradition.
Posted by: Gary Johnson

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 09:50 PM

I think ctflyfish has it right. If there are no laws regulating this on the OP rivers maybe there should be? I know when I first got my sled I was hoping to take it over to the penninsula for a weekend trip. Luckily for me before I did that I actually booked a trip with a guide and found out how prevalent tire slashing was for those with sleds. To this day I have never fished an OP river again.

Now trust me I try to be as courteous as possible but I sure don't understand ruining someones property just because they want to have a good time on public property too.
Posted by: convict

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 10:00 PM

as the rower of said 20 foot black kofler drift boat on the hump, you cry babies make me sick, you have a problem handle it like a man, by the way the truck came out of four wheel drive just fine, thank you for your concern, the reason they call me convict is i'm not scared, take heed. i'll be back.

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 10:45 PM

OH MAN, another bad a$$ to ruin everybodys day. convict, you sound like a really nice guy. but i will bet you never spent a day behind bars or you would have a little more respect. just another tuff guy.

Re: GAS MOTORS ON THE SOLDUC - 12/02/04 10:49 PM

Already been doing a little web searching to look into going to the county for such a ban on all tribuataries of the Quillaute River.

In the meantime, since this seems to be deteriorating into I'm a big tough guy behind my keyboard thread ... it's time to put it to rest ;\)