Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software

Posted by: Titanium Cranium

Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/28/04 10:07 PM

I found this program called USPhotoMaps. It's a program that downloads map images from Microsofts TerraServer. The best thing of all is it's free and it integrates with a GPS. You can load Topo maps, Satellite images, and in some areas color high definition Urban maps (Greater Seattle is covered). There are also a few utilities that can be used with it to help download regional data, obtain landmark data, and elevation data. This is the coolest free software of it's kind I have found yet, and the latest revision is 12-19-2004, very current.

You can locate the areas you want to go to on a topo map, create a waypoint and upload them to your GPS. Fun times with the GPS I got for Christmas!

Here's the link -> >> JDMCOX Software <<

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with JDM Software nor do I obtain any benefit by supplying a link to this site.
Posted by: Starfish

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/28/04 10:18 PM

I just found that today and was planning to download it tonight. Have you tried uploading the maps to the GPS yet? What model are you using?
Posted by: barnettm

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/28/04 10:44 PM

great subject. if the maps are windows biitmaps then you can use them in a freeware chart plotter program called seaclear. you can find it at http://www.sping.com
Posted by: DeFrag

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/28/04 10:49 PM

USAPhotoMaps is rock. I've used it for the last couple years now.

Here's a great freebie to go along with it: EasyGPS . Do yourself a favor & grab it now. In addition, I have State files for it with tons of landmarks, etc. PM & I'll make them available for you.

Degree/Minute/Second Converter is a must have in any GPS toolbox. It converts to/from different formats which REALLY comes in handy when your unit & any programs you like to use together displays in disparate formats.

I've got some other programs for astronomy like Sunrise/Sunset calculators etc.. Just call me Mr. Utility. I'll be happy to answer any questions, search, or try to provide utilities for your use. I don't program anymore but if I ever need anything, I'll download 6 or 7 5-STAR programs, install them all, & throw away all but 1 or 2. Ease of use, small memory footprint, practical, nice standard interface, etc are all requirements I adhere to. Free is good too ;P

Have fun!
Posted by: Titanium Cranium

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/28/04 10:50 PM

So far I don't think you can upload the maps, which is what I was originally after, but you can load the waypoints you develop in the program onto your GPS, and that's half the battle right there. Combine the way points with a laptop and your GPS and this is crazy cool but then I'm a GPS neophyte so what do I know :p

I'd really like to have a full topo of the state in the GPS including elevations so I'll keep looking too.
Posted by: Starfish

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/29/04 09:07 AM

It's way cool-- thanks for the tips. I wish I could upload the maps themselves but it looks pretty easy to upload the waypoints.

I've noticed that the Lakes and Hotspots maps for Washington are pretty lame-- they only include a few of the lakes I would want (Moses and Roosevelt) and not Potholes, Chelan, or the rivers. I got Bluechart, which is great for the Columbia and Snake, but it overwrites the upper Columbia portions of the basemap on my GPSMap 76CS with a really bad map-- no islands or usable shorelines. I didn't expect to get depth readings for that area since it's not officially navigable (and I already know the depths anyway) but it would be nice to have shorelines for navigating in the fog.
Posted by: AJ Hartwell

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/30/04 10:35 AM

I like QuakeMap - http://www.earthquakemap.com/. It has all the features of the previously listed application but it leverages both the usgs topo database and color aerial maps. It also has built in support for geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/) if you're in to that.
Posted by: DeFrag

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/30/04 02:25 PM

Don't forget the cool application NASA World Wind !
Posted by: barnettm

Re: Really cool FREE Mapping and GPS Software - 12/30/04 11:10 PM

it can all be done for free using seaclear from http://www.sping.com

if you can get the map up on your screen you can save it using prnt screen. then use seaclear and laptop and gps to put a dot on the map that is you.

you can also photograph paper maps using your digital camera.

get seaclear and read instructions