Nooch, contender or pretenter ?

Posted by: Local

Nooch, contender or pretenter ? - 12/29/04 11:49 AM

Is the Nooch a top 10 river this year ?
Attendance wise it is, hundreds fish it every week if not every day. Catch records will show it's a pretenter.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Nooch, contender or pretenter ? - 12/29/04 11:55 AM

The Wynoochie has had some above average seasons recently. No river sustains above average productivity, so it's probably due for an off, or below average, season. Remember 3 or 4 years ago when the hatchery winter runs fizzled all over western Washington? These things happen.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Nooch, contender or pretenter ? - 12/29/04 12:06 PM

Top 10 contender for sure,but will explore other options more often this season then in the past.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: Sol

Re: Nooch, contender or pretenter ? - 12/29/04 01:09 PM

A buddy of mine hooked a FRIEGHT TRAIN near White's Bridge on Monday. With his drag tight and thumb on the spool he said it effortlessly accelerated upstream and he couldn't phase it. I'm guessing it was one of those big broodstock hatchery fish or rarer yet, an early hog native reminant of the pre-dam era.
Posted by: salmonbelly

Re: Nooch, contender or pretenter ? - 12/29/04 02:18 PM

WDFW sources tell me the hatchery return this year is off a plant of 100 percent native Wynooche stock, which returns mostly January through April. Van Winkle stock is no longer being used apparently. So you might expect fishing to be slow so far -- and for it to pick up over the next few weeks.
Posted by: steely slammer

Re: Nooch, contender or pretenter ? - 12/29/04 07:16 PM

with the new netting schedual out id say PRETENDER... not going to be anygood without some major rains to get the nets out and the fish up above them...