Sol Duc Float Questions?

Posted by: Stumpy

Sol Duc Float Questions? - 02/07/05 04:53 PM

I've floated the river numerous times recently from Maxfield to Whitcomb Dimmel. I'm floating it in a raft. I'd like to expand my knowledge of the river and float a new section.
The section I'd like to float is from Whitcomb Dimmel to Rayonier. I have a couple of questions regarding this float.

How long of a float is it in river miles?

Any places on this float with hazards / tough water (similar to Shuwah Rapids) that I should look for?

Thanks for your help.

Brian
Posted by: Bob

Re: Sol Duc Float Questions? - 02/08/05 12:28 PM

Tack on about another mile or a little more to your regular float for your distance below.

Difficulty wise, it will vary on water flow ... at lower water, the exit from the what any call the Trestle Hole will cause problems, but at most flows it's nothing at all.

Double Rapids is a definite notch above Shuwah with much tighter quarters. Where in Shuwah if you make a mistake you simply hit a rock at the bottom ... if you make a mistake in DR, you'll have more to contend with thereafter.

Hardly terrible water, but enough that to be safe, you should be decent on the oars and able to fully stop your boat in minimal water to dig, especially if 5 boards or less.
Posted by: JTD

Re: Sol Duc Float Questions? - 02/08/05 12:36 PM

I can attest to the difficulty of Double Rapids. At the top you definitely want to favor left rather than right. On the last day of a three day trip we had all of our luggage and stuff in the boat with us, so we were heavy and after three days of rowing I was tired. I entered the top of Double Rapids one rock too far to the right and lets just say the pucker factor increased exponentially!

Good luck.
Posted by: Stumpy

Re: Sol Duc Float Questions? - 02/08/05 12:56 PM

Bob & JTD,
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
Brian
Posted by: Sol

Re: Sol Duc Float Questions? - 02/08/05 01:01 PM

What Bob said, to the tee! \:\)