Nissan outboard, yes or no?

Posted by: RiverMan

Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 06:12 PM

My coworker is preparing to buy an 8HP four stroke Nissan kicker motor tomorrow and I wondered if you guys had any comments good or bad about the motor that I could share with him....he's not the computer type!

Thank you!

RM
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 06:43 PM

Yami / Honda / Merc.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 06:48 PM

My feeling too Strike but he's looking hard at them because of the price. Apparently they do have a 3 year warranty.

RM
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 07:00 PM

Nissan/Tohatsu same thing, I used 1 for a season in Ak. and was highly unimpressed, that was back in 94 maybe there better now but I don't hear them mentioned in conversations with Yamaha, Honda or Merc so I doubt there much better.
Posted by: DUROBOAT15

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 07:05 PM

I have heard there fine untill you need to get it worked on and it can be tough finding someone to work on it or that has parts.
Posted by: Gary Johnson

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 08:15 PM

As Duro said... Since most of the places I see them for sale don't have service centers... Where do you get them serviced? That would be my main concern. Nissan/Tohatsu have been around for a long time and supposedly build good motors. But if they don't have a good service center close by then I woudln't "Save" the money on something that is a pain to have serviced. The aggravation is just not worth it.
Posted by: Haifisch

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 08:35 PM

There is a Nissan/Tohatsu dealer near here in Belfair, and I have been there several times. When you look into the shop, he isn't working on Nissans! People I have talked to with Nissans are happy, and the bigger engines are well rated in a review in Powerboats.
Posted by: fishonjohn

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/11/05 09:06 PM

I know several people that have Nissans and Tohatsu's that like them and I owned an 8hp in the early 90s that was pretty well indestructble. There are several places they can be purchased and worked on in the Seattle area. The down side would be living close to where you can get it serviced, like several people already pointed out.
Posted by: Bremerton Squid

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/12/05 10:48 AM

I had a Nissan 25hp with electric start/tiller. I got rid of it when I bought a 16' Duro and put a 25hp Merc on with steering controls. The cost to put the controls onto the Nissan was too much. Wish I never sold the motor. It was great adn is much better than the 25 Merc I bought. Both engines I bought new and I also owned a 9hp longshaft Nissan, also bought new. The nost dependable outboards I've ever owned. Parts are always a concern when talking imported products. I never really had to worry. The warranty is great. I went to Belfair for service.

Hope the info helps.
Posted by: Somethingsmellsf

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/14/05 08:46 PM

I have a 5 horse 4stroke that I bought new in 2001 and have never had a bit of trouble with it.I got a three gal tank with it and was going to get a 6 gallon to make sure that I would have enough gas for trolling and have never used even half of the three gal. Remeber that once Honda was looked upon with a distrustful eye......
Posted by: MarkColeman

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/15/05 02:00 AM

You have to ask yourself why are Yamahas, Mercs, and Hondas so popular? I have had good success with Mercery motors. I usually find Nissans at random sporting good and marine stores and there usually a couple years old...old new stock.

Re: Nissan outboard, yes or no? - 03/15/05 09:38 PM

Thanks for all the posts guys. My coworker bought the motor yesterday, time will tell.

Kind regards,

RM