Cabo Fishing Report

Posted by: Stumpy

Cabo Fishing Report - 10/18/05 01:16 PM

Parker - Here is my Cabo report from this past week.

Flyfished four days with my friend Ramon on his panga "Cheers". Rather tough fishing conditions with big north winds and very few sardines available. Fished mostly inshore due to the wind. Beach fishing was out of the question. The surf was the largest I've seen out of my past seven trips to Cabo. I'm sure Hurricane Otis had a role in the size of the surf. Got a good leg workout trying to keep balance in the boat while throwing 30' T-14 shooting heads.

Ended up catching 12 species of fish during the trip.

Only one peanut dorado and no YFT's this trip. The larger boats were getting tuna well off shore and fishing deep. Lack of sardines made it tough to get the fish up.

Had a sea lion swallow a 5lb skipjack right next to the boat. He came to the surface with the fish in his mouth. Flipped it in the air, opened his mouth and swallowed it. Fish, fly and leader in one gulp. He put up a pretty good fight for about two seconds!

My last day I had a great time catching smaller Jack Crevelle on surface poppers. Multiple fish would chase the fly before getting one hooked up.

Flies I had good luck with were Clousers, Jiggies, Gummy Minnows, Pencil Poppers and Leland's Beach Popper.

Brian
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Cabo Fishing Report - 10/18/05 01:54 PM

Cool! Thanks for the report.

Can't wait to get back down there in late April!