Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!)

Posted by: BratBonker

Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/10/05 08:26 PM

Here are a few pictures from two days of fishing over in Hells Canyon on the Snake River last Weekend!

Yes, I did kiss it.

Kiley
Posted by: bbean

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/10/05 10:46 PM

Kiley,

Did you go out of Lewiston? I didn't recognize the scenery, but I'm not familiar with the downstream stuff around Lewiston. I fish the upstream part of that river a lot more. Did you catch any wild steelhead or almost-dead chinook?
Posted by: Grandpa's Fishin Buddy

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 12:13 AM

Sure u were up in the Canyon, doesn't look like the canyon to me, canyon doesn't technically start till u get about the salmon, that still looks like u were below hellar bar!!!!
Posted by: Doug P

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 01:13 AM

Looks like above Asotin, Three Mile area. Always thought the canyon started above the Grande Rhonde?
Posted by: bbean

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 01:30 AM

The NRA actually stops at the OR WA border between the Salmon and Grande Rhonde,
http://www.fs.fed.us/hellscanyon/things_to_see_and_do/recmap.shtml

but I don't know where the "canyon" technically ends.

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 02:22 AM

It was bellow Hellar Bar. We didnt fish above heller bar at all. We went out of Lewiston. Total fopr the boat for 2 days we only caught 8 steelhead. 4 were Brats, 4 were Nates. The 2nd and 3rd picture is of a Nate, The guides do things different over there, that is for sure!
Posted by: B-RUN STEELY

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 02:36 PM

Nice to see a few shots from home. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Robert Allen3

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 03:06 PM

nice fish!!

just a reminder it is illegal in Washington to remove wild fish completely from the water when their release is required \:\)

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 03:36 PM

Yea, but its O.K in Idaho ;\)
Posted by: TBird

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 03:56 PM

Those fish become bulltproof when they hit idaho waters, making it totally unnecessary to leave them in the water! Boy, what a difference a stateline can make!! \:D

Very nice pictures, thanks a bunch!!

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 05:06 PM

Thats the guides arm, not minde, if i had my choice, the fish never would have left the water except for a quick glory shot! Like I said...They do things different there. However all the other fish were never lifted out of the water.
Posted by: Robert Allen3

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/11/05 06:40 PM

no worries wasn't trying to start anything just passing on a reminder potentially save someone getting a ticket \:\)
Posted by: Republicsteelheader

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/12/05 03:29 PM

I dont know how it is in Idaho but here in eastern wa. 99%of the time the only difference between a wild and a hatchery fish is when the hatchery runs out of money in the clipping budget the rest of the smolts are wild. This is usually the case for salmon also. The dorsal fin tells the true story.

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/13/05 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
Those fish become bulltproof when they hit idaho waters, making it totally unnecessary to leave them in the water! Boy, what a difference a stateline can make!! \:D

Very nice pictures, thanks a bunch!!
On the same note, guys with Washington licences can fish with barbed hooks on the Snake, while Idaho and Oregon licence holders are barbless only. Maybe someday there will be some kind of communication set up where states can actually talk to each other about importaint issues.. hey wait.. I the the PHONE is ringing
Posted by: Raft-Cat

Re: Snake River Report ( Lots of Pics!!) - 12/13/05 11:43 PM

Unless the rules have changed from last year, you CANNOT use a barbed hook to fish for steelhead at the Heller Bar, Snake River, with a Washington License! We fished it last year at Heller Bar with a guide and provided our on gear. My Grandson forgot to crimp the barb on a new hook after he had prior lost his hook. We were checked by the Washington Game Dept. and he got a warning ticket.
Perhaps the Warden didn't know what he was doing?

RAFT-CAT