Gravlax... another interpretation.

Posted by: eyeFISH

Gravlax... another interpretation. - 01/10/12 01:52 AM

Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 01/16/12 05:52 PM

This one appeals to my paternal Swedish heritage....
Posted by: fishmaster

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 01/30/12 11:16 PM

Looks amazing! Now I just have to wait til this spring or summer for some fresh Salmon!!
Posted by: Todd

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 01/30/12 11:27 PM

That looks fantastic. Next dead fish will get that treatment.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 01/31/12 08:56 AM

Here's the recipe:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-view.php?title=gorgeous-beetroot-gravadlax

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 09/29/12 01:04 PM

I've got half a Grays Harbor Chinook getting the treatment right now...did it up yesterday around lunchtime, tomorrow I'll have a lunchtime report on it wink

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 09/30/12 06:21 PM

Just ate about a pound of it...it's like proscuitto, only with a bit of very, very good salmon flavor...I will be making a lot more of this in the future.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/01/12 12:06 AM

Should the fish be frozen before making Gravlax?
I've seen a few recipes that suggest freezing the fish for a week to kill any possible parasites.
Thanks for your input on this.
SF

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/01/12 12:52 AM

Don't know if it has to be if the fish came from saltwater, but mine was...

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Chuck..."cooked" is a term that includes a lot more than "adding heat"...and stuff cooked with vinegar or booze (pickled) or dehydrated, or smoked, is every bit as cooked...and often times more "cooked"...than rare or medium rare meat from a restaurant.

"Raw" or "uncooked" is taking off the animal and eating it.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/01/12 01:00 PM

My fish came out of the salt yesterday, but I'm going to freeze it for a week or so just to be safe.
I've got a super simple Gravlax recipe my friend uses that I'm going to try first.

Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/01/12 06:27 PM

I do believe that salmon (even a salt fish) are supposed to be frozen if they are not cooked going to be cooked with heat.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/08/12 07:03 PM

Caught a nice 10lb GH silver yesterday that will get this treatment. The filets turned out perfect. She's in the freezer today, so I'll start her on this process when I get back on Thursday.

Does anyone give them a light smoke (1-2 hours), and do they hold up well frozen, like smoked salmon does?

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/15/12 01:01 AM

First batch started after the filet being frozen for a week. Only used one beet finely grated. It covered it completely.

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/16/12 11:53 PM

Done!

What it looked like after I removed the weighted pan above it.

Opposite side.

After the crap was removed.

Nom, nom, nom.

Sauce is similar to Jamie Oliver's, but changed slightly based on what I had on hand. Good eats!

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/17/12 11:55 AM

I loved it, and I'm going to be making more here real soon, like as soon as I get back from Forks next week wink

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/17/12 04:12 PM

Not sure if it is true, but I've always read not to make gravlax in a metal container. I'm not sure if the problem is related to it picking up a metallic taste or if it has to do with the curing?

Those beets certainly make it look a little wild!

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/17/12 05:12 PM

Neither the "juice" nor the salmon came in contact with the pan until I unwrapped it. The first picture kind of shows that. I also don't wet or dry cure meat in metal containers because of some metals being a "reactive container," even though stainless steel isn't supposed to be reactive. Never tried curing meat in stainless, but I know aluminum is a big NO. There was no metalic taste at all.

I do need to adjust the salt down a little bit, and maybe up the sugar. Possibly shorten the curing time to 36 hours.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/17/12 06:39 PM

Baarrrrfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.Good luck,
SZ

Re: Gravlax... another interpretation. - 10/17/12 07:17 PM

Bernie, it tastes pretty good. Kind of like lox, but a firmer texture.