4-5 Yellow onions, caramelized
1 Bottle of beer
1 Tbsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Salt
3/8 tsp. Ground chipotle pepper
8-10 Roma tomatoes, halved and chopped into 3/8” chunks
3 Tbsp. Finely chopped cilantro stems

Method:
Soak beans for 24 hours in enough *warm* water with the lemon or lime juice to allow for the volume of the beans to double. Drain and rinse the beans in a colander. Place drained beans into a #26 Le Creuset pot or similar. Add epazote and oregano with enough water to cover beans about 1-inch. Bring to boil and simmer with cover cracked for 1-hour, stirring occasionally. Cover, turn off and leave overnight to slow cook. If beans are cooked soft the next morning, add remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered to reduce liquid such that a thick sauce forms. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Tips:
• Use a glass bowl to soak beans. The warm, acidic water will damage metallic bowls.
• Use a full-bodied beer such as an ale or stout.
• Do not add salt until after beans are cooked or they’ll be tough.
• Serve over steamy Jasmine rice with plain yogurt, chopped cilantro topping, avacado slices and fresh corn bread, or as an ingredient for a bitchin’ breakfast burrito, or....
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Driftin's Bitchin' Black Beans.... - 06/20/13 12:30 PM

Yes please!

That sounds amazing.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Driftin's Bitchin' Black Beans.... - 06/20/13 08:15 PM

Hmmmm....will be looking for that at a barn around Labor Day wink
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Driftin's Bitchin' Black Beans.... - 06/21/13 12:56 AM

Laffin'.

Couldn't wait and made a pot yesterday....

Re: Driftin's Bitchin' Black Beans.... - 06/21/13 11:09 AM

Yup. The limitless variations are what make it your own. The recipe above is very good for the vegetarian in-laws. I often make such meatifications for me & mine. Also, a couple of over-easy eggs on top of a layer of rice, black beans, grilled chicken chunks and sliced avocado makes for a nice breakfast. Enjoy!

Re: Driftin's Bitchin' Black Beans.... - 06/23/13 11:38 AM

I thought so too....