No Salt Salmon Brine?

Posted by: wntrrn

No Salt Salmon Brine? - 09/09/13 11:20 PM

Any suggestions for a brine without salt. I'd like to smoke some fish for a friend but he can't have salt.
Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: No Salt Salmon Brine? - 09/09/13 11:37 PM

My wife doesn't like salty smoked fish. I've used a bunch of different brines and have good luck just skipping the salt.

Most recently I tried Sky-Guys recipe and like normal I just skipped the salt. A bit sweeter than I like without the salt,but my wife loved it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: No Salt Salmon Brine? - 09/09/13 11:54 PM

cant have any as in zero? or would 1/4 cup to 1 cup White Sugar, 1 Cup Brown and 4 quarts water for say 8 hours be too much?

the problems i find without using salt, is it doesnt "cure" the fish like with a salt brine, so you have to "cook" the fish per say more than actually smoke/dry it...

then again, im betting the Indians (some not all, ones without salt obviously) hundreds of years ago smoked their fish without salt, and just hung them by a smoky fire to dry...

if i were to try on a small amount of fish to figure it out, id try 1 cup Brown Sugar, 1 cup Maple Syrup, 3 quarts water, see what it turns out like ....
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: No Salt Salmon Brine? - 09/10/13 12:28 PM

Can you use Soy? Or is he allergic to salt in any form?
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: No Salt Salmon Brine? - 09/11/13 02:39 PM

No salt. I'll use one of the recipes and exclude salt. I'll just suggest eating it within a couple days of smoking.