Razors!

Posted by: scrimps

Razors! - 10/23/13 03:18 PM

Im getting tired of panko breaded razor clams, any kind folks care to share how you like to cook these bad boys up?

Thanks
Scrimps
Posted by: erikj

Re: Razors! - 10/23/13 11:41 PM

Buddy of mine smoked em for a bit then canned em. Best clams I've eaten. I'll ask him for his recipe.
Posted by: bob r

Re: Razors! - 10/24/13 09:17 AM

I have lots of ways to cook these tasty clams, one of them is to cut into 1 inch pieces and cook with fresh minced garlic 'till color changes(just a few minutes), cover with favorite tomato sauce, cook for 10 minutes to flavor sauce(any longer and clams get tough) serve with spagetti or penna pasta with parmagian cheese.Enjoy! bob r
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Razors! - 10/24/13 04:03 PM

any leftovers that I have end up in the smoker... (little chief to be exact)

You can smoke the diggers but I prefer to cut them off and use in chowder.

this recipe is not a wet recipe that can be used for canning, it is a drying/dehydrating recipe that makes tender clam jerky

I cut the bodies in half or with larger clams in long strips.
brine them for an hour in a 3/1 brown sugar/kosher salt
rinse and lay out on paper towels and pat dry.
Lay the strips out on the smoker rack and place in one of the top two slots in the smoker away from the heat.
smoke for an hour or two depending on the humidity and temp and desired dryness
use 1 or 2 small pans of chips (apple or cherry).

not to much smoke or you cover up the flavor of the clam and not too much heat or they will get tough.

my son Jonah eats it like candy, he can't get enough once he gets started.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Razors! - 11/05/13 05:18 PM

I use the KDUX rock of the coast baked clam recipe on my fresh clams and panko my frozen clams.Try out that recipe as it uses ritz crackers as the breading which already has a buttery flavor. Follow the recipe and you will be happy. the other thing i have done with them is use the WDFW recipe on smoked clams...than I can them in half pint jars. It will take up to 80-90 clams to get a full case of 12 half pints though, but is great to grab a jar for the boat or cocktail hour when out and about.Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: steely slammer

Re: Razors! - 12/16/13 08:31 PM

I"ve looked on kdux web site but cant find it..