Camping

Posted by: dwatkins

Camping - 10/01/17 01:54 PM

Anyone have good camping recipes?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Camping - 10/01/17 02:50 PM

Classic beef stew is a staple camping meal for me. I prep the veggies and beef at home. Large dice potatoes, carrot, onion, celery and beef (cut of your choice), minced fresh garlic or whole roasted cloves. Bring a mixture of 1 part vermouth, 1 part burgundy cooking wine and 2 or 3 parts beef stock (enough to cover beef and veg.) Flour, brown sugar, dry thyme, S&P and oil or butter.

Bring soup pot or cast iron up to temp.
Add oil or butter.
Add beef, season with s&up and cook until brown.
Pull beef from pan and put into a bowl.
Let pan get back to temp and add oil or butter.
Add veggies onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Sweat veggies until onion begins to clear.
While cooking veg, coat beef in a couple cups of flour, A pinch of brown sugar and thyme. This is your roux.
Add beef and roux back into the pan and mix well w/ veggies.
Cover with stock mixture.
Add potatoes.
Cook until potatoes are tender.
Adjust seasoning as necessary.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Camping - 10/01/17 10:30 PM

Car camping, to be specific laugh
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Camping - 10/02/17 12:15 PM

Not really a recipe, but I've always found it much easier to cook in camp with some prep and planning at home (tips below). Saves on time, dishes and camp fuel.

Make everything at home if you can (stews, soups, pasta). Pre-freeze your soups and stews and use em' as "ice" in your cooler.

Crack eggs into a plastic bottle, add a little milk for quick omelettes. Just shake and pour

Premix pancake batter in a bottle (same as above)

Premix 1/2 flour 1/2 cornmeal (or panko) in a gallon plastic bag; add salt and lemon pepper to taste (or whatever spices you like). Drop in a fresh trout, zip up the bag, coat / cover and then it fry up in a skillet. Works for at least a dozen eater trout and keeps all weekend. No mess.

1/2 cook whole potatoes in the microwave

1/2 cook bacon;1/2 cook brats (boil in beer etc); 1/2 cook chicken breasts

Pre-slice veggies

Pre-marinate meat. Pre make kebabs / skewers

Pre-make individually wrapped meals in foil. Burger patty, onion, potatoes, mushrooms, salt / pepper, oil etc. Or whatever (chx breast). Just toss on the grill on in some hot coals.

Vac pack pre-portioned granola, trail mix, nuts etc. for easy grab and go. A bag of Baby-Bell mini cheeses is a very good thing.

I do make a Stromboli style loaf of mixed meats, cheese and veggies at home. It ends up weighing like 5 pounds. It's easy to slice off a quick hunk for a quick lunch sandwich. I also make Kraut burgers which are also called Runza's or "cabbage biscuits" and are kinda similar to the Stromboli (Toff can eat his fightin' weight in those). I'll post those recipes later....
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Camping - 10/02/17 10:26 PM

Bean recipes are just too damn sweet, so I modded this to be much less sweet...

Cowboy Bacon Beans

Ingredients

4 cups dry pinto beans
1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces
2 whole green bell peppers, diced (red bell)
1 whole onion, diced
1 cup brown sugar (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon chili powder, optional
2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
2 teaspoons black pepper, more to taste (1 TBSP)
4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp granulated)
(1 med size Jalapenos)
(1 tsp chipotle chili powder)
( ) indicates my mods

Directions

Rinse the beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks/particles. Set aside.

In a largish pot (8 qt.) saute the bacon pieces until halfway cooked and the fat is rendered. Add the green peppers and onions to the pot and cook until starting to get brown, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, and then add the brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place on the lid and cook until the beans are tender and the liquid is thick 3 to 4 hours

Notes:
Cut waay back on the brown sugar as shown
I like 1 green and 1 red bell pepper
1 fresh jalapeno can be enough heat for many
I don't do the pre-cook of the bacon when using lean bacon like Hempler's
And I use 1/2 the bacon amount...no reason but guilt

It's a good size batch and could be cut in half.
A dollop of BBQ sauce will transform it into BBQ beans that will please any miscreants in camp.

This weekend in steelhead camp we will have this along with a dinner sausage (Johnsonville Irish O'Garlic)
Should make a nice, old-timey meal with plenty of campfire farts afterwards.

Posted by: dwatkins

Re: Camping - 10/04/17 07:41 AM

thank you for the ideas fellas!
Posted by: Brant

Re: Camping - 10/05/17 10:57 AM

When I car camp, I always bring a cast iron Dutch oven. Nachos are simple and popular. Pre-cook meat beforehand. Chips. Bag of shredded cheese. Can of pre-cut olives and jalapenos. Just melt the cheese.

I make those cans of cinnamon rolls for breakfast in the Dutch. Cobblers work well for dessert.

Most popular dinner is pulled pork sandwiches. Put a pork butt roast or loin in the crock pot at home with a can of (not diet) root beer. Cook 8-10 hours on low until it pulls apart with forks. Dump the root beer. Pull the pork and add barbecue sauce. Let cool and put the whole thing in a gallon Ziploc bag. Reheat in camp and serve on buns with coleslaw.
Posted by: bob r

Re: Camping - 11/06/17 05:31 PM

We have figured out that we can cook our favorite things at home, vacuum seal them and freeze. Then the meals keep other things cold in coolers and saves having to clean pots and pans. We have a big pot with a deep strainer for pasta, fill with water, boil with sealed bag. Cut open bag, serve.What could be simpler? Chili, pasta with sauce, fisherman's pie, chowder, just about anything can be used. Saves time, space, effort. Beats screwing with raw food. More time for fishing, hunting, sleeping, etc. . Bob R