reverse sear steak

Posted by: dwatkins

reverse sear steak - 03/06/19 10:03 AM

Anyone try it? Looks pretty straight forward just wanted to see if there were any tips I needed to know before doing it. Going to try it tonight.
Posted by: Todd

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/06/19 12:35 PM

It's the only way I cook thicker steaks now. It is amazing.

I season them how I like, which is to say a bit of salt and pepper, bake them at 225 until they reach an internal temp of about 125 or 130, and then put them on a smoking hot cast iron pan just long enough to crispy up each side.

Instead of a steak that ranges from well done on the edge to medium rare in the middle, you end up with a couple inches of medium rare steak with a crispy crust...the best.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/06/19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

I season them how I like, which is to say a bit of salt and pepper, bake them at 225 until they reach an internal temp of about 125 or 130, and then put them on a smoking hot cast iron pan just long enough to crispy up each side.

Instead of a steak that ranges from well done on the edge to medium rare in the middle, you end up with a couple inches of medium rare steak with a crispy crust...the best.

Fish on...

Todd

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/06/19 06:11 PM

easy peasy. get the desired temp and sear. besides grilling this is the best way. Todd is right, the best and easiest way to cook a thick steak.
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/07/19 08:32 AM

try Sous Vide..

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/07/19 11:26 AM

will do evo.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/08/19 04:02 PM

Don't skip on the compound butter either
Posted by: NickD90

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/08/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: War-Paint
Don't skip on the compound butter either

Never!

You can also lightly smoke em' first to bring up to temp before your sear. YUM!
Posted by: CedarR

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/09/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

Sounds near foolproof. Must take quite awhile to get to get a thick steak up to 130 degrees with the oven only set at 225, huh? Should I start right after breakfast? wink Watched a video where the chef seared a steak in the melted fat he had trimmed off the steak, then he finished it off with lotsa butter, probably clarified. This might be the only way I haven't ruined a piece of beef, I'll give it a try...

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/09/19 06:33 PM

For an inch and a half steak it probably takes about 35 minutes, give or take, to reach 125...not as long as you might think.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Excitable Bob

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/09/19 08:21 PM

Guess I have been doing it bassackwards. I have always seared them first and then put them in the oven to finish. Will cook steaks tomorrow and try it Tods way, I expect they will about the same as my usual way. I normally use the BBQ but when the weather is not nice I use the stove top and oven.

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/10/19 08:29 PM

I cooked my steaks using Todd's method tonight, thank you for this advice! Had a couple of 2" filets and they turned out great, cooked consistently thru out. This will be my new method when the genesis is not usable due to snow or laziness on my part.

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/11/19 12:22 PM

Glad it worked out so well for you!

A large ribeye met its demise at my house with this same technique last night...perfectly cooked throughout.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: wsu

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/11/19 03:32 PM

This sounds like sacrilege. Perfecting the art of grilling a steak over hot fire is what steak is all about.

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/11/19 09:47 PM

You are right, nothing like cooking over a hot flame!

Posted by: wsu

Re: reverse sear steak - 03/12/19 02:24 PM

Doesn't seem like there would be adequate heat control.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: reverse sear steak - 04/06/19 05:05 PM

Picked up a pair of ribeyes today for the missus and myself. Gonna give this a shot.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: reverse sear steak - 04/06/19 09:38 PM

I reversed seared a 3" thick Chuck Eye last night and it turned out perfect.
It's all I ever do on thick cuts from here on out.

MMMMM...Chuck Eyes are the best! 1/2 the price of a regular ribeye. They're hard to find, so when I do...I buy all of them.

Re: reverse sear steak - 04/18/19 01:08 PM

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-cook-a-steak-with-reverse-sear-method/

along with todd's way do what she does. even a caveman can do it.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: reverse sear steak - 04/18/19 04:07 PM

The cast iron thing is good.
Never really embraced it until recently.
The wife is brutal on pots and pans.....overheats 'em and kills 'em.

So I bought her the last pan I will ever buy her, a couple of years ago....12" Lodge frying pan.It's very well seasoned now.
Cleanup is with salt, cooking oil and a paper towel....no soap and water.
Kosher salt seems to work the best....coarser.

For a tough clean up I will put some warm water in it which will reveal any organics that didn't get taken out on the first pass.

ETA:
For a good 2 channel temp monitor it's Thermoworks "Smoke" or Maverick 732, 733 or 735

Do not submerge cables in water for cleaning...use rubbing alcohol on tips....done.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: reverse sear steak - 12/25/20 10:40 PM

Did up a few prime steaks this way tonight for my folks and I and we all loved it! Seared in butter!