kicker motor

Posted by: blindmans guide

kicker motor - 08/16/01 09:55 PM

I've ordered a new 21'Northriver Ranger sled and would like help with selecting the best
kicker. The guy in Auburn reccomends the
Yamaha 8hp high thrust, 4 stroke.Elec start
Elect tilt what do you think. What would you do ? Thanks
Posted by: ac

Re: kicker motor - 08/17/01 12:44 AM

i wouldnt buy anything from auburn sports and marine.never get your motors serviced there.they are a bunch of amature mechanics.i will never set foot in auburn sports and marine again.they gave me my motor back to me in fouf pieces after they determined it wasnt worth working on. iwas prepared to buy a brand new motor from them that day.i already knew that it was beyond ecomonical repair after talking to them. they told me that they wanted two hours labor to thow together my motor.that to me was a bunch of bull. i could have did it in 15 mim.they lost a good sale and a good customer.go to oregon if you want to get a good deal
Posted by: Brad Hopps

Re: kicker motor - 08/17/01 06:45 PM

I just had to replace the kicker on my 20 foot sled. I like the honda 8. electric start is not an option and neither is power tilt but this motor starts and tilts easily. I have owned several hondas for 20 years and have never had any problems other than theft.
Posted by: Slab Quest

Re: kicker motor - 08/18/01 04:11 PM

In Alaska, you see more Yamaha kickers than anything else. I have a 9.9 high thrust w/ elec start on my 24' SeaSport and it has been great except it take a few minutes to warm-up. I have heard that other carbeurator jets are available for the northern latitudes to solve this problem. You might ask about that if you're going with a Yamaha. cool
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: kicker motor - 08/18/01 08:06 PM

I wouldnt go back to auburn either... there is'nt much to choice from in yamaha dealers up here, but auburn tackle sales staff know more about motors than their mechanics... i bought a small yamaha jet that never ran right when i bought it never mind the three times i had it serviced there.... GET A EXTENDED WARRANTY WITH THEM!!! YOUR GONNA NEED IT!!
Posted by: Drummer/Fisherman

Re: kicker motor - 08/28/01 03:33 PM

1 word... MERCURY

2 more words... Stevens Marine
Posted by: Doug Kelly

Re: kicker motor - 08/28/01 03:54 PM

have the 9.9 4 stroke mercury love it, yahama makes a good motor and so does honda,
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: kicker motor - 08/28/01 05:51 PM

Take a look at www.stevensmarine.com in Oregon.No tax,Chad Normoyle is a good guy.
Posted by: tre

Re: kicker motor - 08/29/01 04:03 AM

Yamaha 9.9 power tilt, electric start, nice altinator, best gas mileage of any 4 stroke. Out of the dozen kickers Ive used this is the best followed by mercury.