2 antique flyrods - more info???

Posted by: glacial21

2 antique flyrods - more info??? - 02/17/04 10:18 AM

I just came upon two old flyrods and am looking to learn more about their age and value. I think I will end up selling them soon.

I have found a little info. about the first. It is a Wright & McGill Champion. I can not read the weight, but am guessing it is a 7 or 8. It is 8.5' long and is not missing any guides. I would say it was in medium condition.

I can not find any info. about the second. It is a Fenwick 33c. The name is written in a handwritten style just like the Wright &MG. I can not tell for sure if this rod is bamboo or some kind of lightweight brown fiberglass. It has a shine when hit by direct light. This rod is also 8.5' and it says 4.5oz.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: 2 antique flyrods - more info??? - 02/17/04 01:25 PM

First off, is the W&G a yellow blank or a brownish blank? If it's the brownish, a 60's era blank. If it's the yellow, late 60's/early 70's. They normally don't carry much value. If it was a bamboo, then you'd be in business. But would say maybe $20-40 max. Maybe less, or more, depends if you put on ebay.

Now, onto the fenwick. From what you've described, I'd say it's a VERY early 60's rod. Does it have metal ferrules? Most of the original fenwicks had a light brown blank, hand inscribed lettering, metal ferrules, and wraps were different then the standard brown/white they're famous for. I'd guestimate, without looking at it, could range in the $60-100 range. Really depends on the collector buying. Now, if that was a trout ferralite model by fenwick from the late 60's/early 70's you're looking in the $100+ range (and a bit more with the old aluminum tubes).
Posted by: Jeff D

Re: 2 antique flyrods - more info??? - 02/21/04 12:35 AM

I recently picked up 2 Fenwick fly rods that I could not find any information about on my own, so I ended up calling Fenwick. (Pure Fishing is the parent company)

The customer service woman at Fenwick called me back about 2 hours later with the information I had requested. The rods were old enough that she had to go to the back room to get the catalogue.

Turns out I have 2 1973 4-5 wt. Medium action fenwick - FL 84-5. Nice to know what you have isn't it.

Now if I can just land a fish with them.

Good luck!
Posted by: Lepper

Re: 2 antique flyrods - more info??? - 02/26/04 10:35 PM

how do you go about finding out worth and information of an old bamboo fly rod??

I have one.. I believe (haven't looked for a while) it is a 3 piece with a 2nd end piece.. all eye's are there.. cork is well old.. the whole thing is old.. Got it from my uncle.. and no telling how long he had it..
d