what do they mean by bow?

Posted by: robosimono

what do they mean by bow? - 04/02/07 03:31 AM

Hi, i have been fishing on and off for most of my life, but the fishing lingo started and ended with "now that there, kid, is a fish". So as i am reading the WL.com reports i see people refering to a type of fish as "bows" so I'm wondering what they are talking about.
Posted by: Lotech Joe

Re: what do they mean by bow? - 04/02/07 08:05 AM

Rainbows I'm guessing.
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: what do they mean by bow? - 04/02/07 09:52 AM

rainbows as in rainbow trout....
Posted by: robosimono

Re: what do they mean by bow? - 04/02/07 02:36 PM

thanks. isn't there also a "bowfish", or is this a figment of my imagination?
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: what do they mean by bow? - 04/02/07 07:34 PM

There is a fish called a bowfish, but they aren't present really in Washington lakes...

Bow: Rainbow in washington
Posted by: Bill G

Re: what do they mean by bow? - 04/03/07 06:43 AM

It's not bowfish it's bowfin and they are in the Mississippi drainage. I wonder why they don't call them Rains instead, but that sounds just as bad. Lets just say trout.
Bill
Posted by: Raffpap

Re: what do they mean by bow? - 04/03/07 09:30 AM

I'm one of those guys who often uses slang, ie bows for rainbows, cutts or cutties for cutthroat, brookies for brook trout (actually a char, not a trout). Sorry for the confusion but old habits die hard!
Posted by: j 7

Re: what do they mean by bow? - 04/03/07 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill G
It's not bowfish it's bowfin and they are in the Mississippi drainage.
Bill

Bill,

Bowfin are in the Great Lakes drainage as well and they call them "dogfish". When I lived in Michigan we used to catch them when we were bass fisshing or we would shoot them them when we were bow fishing for carp. I wish I had some pictures of those ugly things. They have a couple of rows of nasty sharp teeth.