Bottom Line Fishing Buddy

Posted by: Channel Chasin

Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/21/07 08:02 AM

Has anyone tried this fish finder? If so what are your inpressions? I am thinking aboout getting it for my float tube.
Posted by: PRODUCE2TROUTCAT

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/21/07 11:14 PM

I have used 2 of them since the first model came out. I like the portability of it from float tube to small boat.The screen is small but I mainly use it for depth and structure/weeds for trolling.The sidefinder I do like,have anticipated many a hookups when I see a fish appear at the distance my line is out.I do miss the first one I had. I thought it was better than the replacement model.Too bad the lcd went out, do not leave it exposed to the sun but I got many good years out of it.If you just want it for a float tube it will work fine. I also use it sometimes as a second finder on my larger boat.Just make sure to have a spare set of c batteries.
Mike
Posted by: WAID

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/22/07 02:35 AM

Grandpa seems to like the one he has in his Smokercraft car topper. Worked well for finding structure but doesn't work at any significant speed. His is one of the originals I think, he's had it for most of the time I remember.
Posted by: Channel Chasin

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/22/07 06:10 AM

Yeah right now I am pontooning it. I bought a regular fish finder the ones for a real boat. Well I was too stupid to know that you have to attach it to something flat which is hard to comeby on a float tube. I would like to get one but the wife gave me a dirty look when I was checkiing one out the other day. She mentioned that I have a brand new fish finder still in the package never been used. I gotta find a way to get this one past her cuz I really want one. Thanks for the feedback.
Posted by: Mike C

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/23/07 02:04 AM

I like mine but have noted that if I don't flip one battery around when done using it, when I use it the next time the batteries are drained out. ???
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/23/07 02:24 AM

Mike,
Maybe take the batteries out after each use?

Question to anyone:
Are they worth the $$$???
Posted by: Mike C

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/23/07 10:50 AM

well, that would work, too. Just kinda wierd why the batteries drain when the unit is off.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/23/07 08:10 PM

I like mine too, but it sure seems to eat through batteries....I'd love it if I could alligator-clip them to the 12v battery.
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/23/07 08:18 PM

Ok you guys know know best. Here's my setup:
12' Lund with a Minn Kota and a deepcycle battery for freshwater and when it goes in the saltwater I swap the Minn Kota for a 10 horse. Should I get the bottom Line clamp on fishing buddy or try and go with something else?
Posted by: WAID

Re: Bottom Line Fishing Buddy - 04/23/07 11:52 PM

Grandpa has a 13ft smokercraft that he uses as a cartopper and trailer boat. He used the portable unit on that and since it served as a cartopper that was the easiest setup for it. I have a 14ft Herter's that is too heavy for a cartopper(which is why grandpa got the smokercraft). Both boats have 15hp engines. Since it just sits on a trailer I installed a Humminbird unit with two transducers and the speed/temp sensor. In fact I bought it off this site. The head is on a Ram mount epoxied to the side of the boat and one transducer and the temp/speed sensor are epoxied to the transom. The other transducer it attached to the trolling motor. Since I bought mine used they where about the same price or maybe mine was cheaper. Grandpa's is more portable, simpler to install, takes up less of the transom and probably simpler to use. Mine runs off the trolling motor battery and works at any speed.