New boat

Posted by: HunterWA73

New boat - 07/15/02 10:52 PM

OK. I'm getting my new boat this weekend. I desided to go with a 17'8" with a 125hp and a 9.9 kicker with easy steer. Full canvas top. Boat mounted trolling motor.

Being a new westsider, I will either have to make some friends here to show me the ropes of the salt water fishing and westside lake fishing Or I'll be hualing it east alot.

Can't wait!
Hunter
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: New boat - 07/15/02 11:26 PM

Well Hunter, what would you like to know. There is a wealth of info and experience on this board. I am sure we can help you with any question that you may have.

Might I suggest, if this is your first boat, practice driving your trailer backwards in a parking lot some where. So when you get to a busy launch you can get in and get out in as little time as possible.

Welcome aboard!
Posted by: HBP

Re: New boat - 07/15/02 11:46 PM

Good call Carl...there's nothing worse than sitting in line at the launch,when the person in front of you can't back up a trailer. mad A close second is the guy that's in line for 20 minutes,and waits till his turn to stow his gear,unstrap the boat,and put the plug in. mad

Hunter...You aren't one of those guys are you? laugh Welcome aboard!
Posted by: HunterWA73

Re: New boat - 07/16/02 12:35 AM

Backing up a trailer is not a problem for me.
Loading and unloading a boat is a simple task. Well for most. It is funny how a simple task like that can take 20 mins. Even for the guys with the 12 footer.

What concerns are there when using your boat in salt?
Hunter
Posted by: Mike C

Re: New boat - 07/16/02 07:37 AM

What concerns??? How about SALT SALT and MORE SALT! You MUST wash your boat and trailer down after each use in the salt water. I recommend using a soap spray followed by a fresh water rinse. And flush both main and kicker motor with fresh water for 3 minutes. Saltwater is very cruel to boats and if you don't take good care of your boat after it's in the saltwater it won't be long before it falls apart.
Be very careful motoring around the Sound. Unlike freshwater, there are any number of things that can kill you such as semi-submerged logs and giant freighters and barges. Also, strongly consider getting a GPS for those mornings when fog rolls in and you can't see 50 feet in front of you. Don't rely on just a compass to get back home.
I'm sure there's more that other people will come up with. Congrats on your new boat. You're going to have a blast and catch lots of salmon this fall! smile
Posted by: umrules

Re: New boat - 07/16/02 09:21 AM

One other thing you might want to look into is running "Salt Away" through your motor when you flush it as well. When I had my initial service done on my new boat last march the folks at Light House Marine in Gig HArbor swear by it and run it through all the motors they service. You can get it at Wal-Mart or order it from Cabelas.

As far as Salt water fishing tips in the sound, just remember one thing....GREEN!! Green Flasher with: Green Herring hood, Green Spoon, Green Hoochie (although white hoochies work well also),
Green (or Army Truck) Koho Killer.

Good luck with the new boat!
Posted by: On The Hook

Re: New boat - 07/16/02 01:41 PM

Hey Hunter

Where you orignally from.