Your most productive fishery!?

Posted by: DaleD

Your most productive fishery!? - 07/30/02 07:06 PM

Posted by: Mike C

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 07/31/02 02:57 PM

I think Hoodsport in Nov for catch and release chum ranks right at the top of the list. Or pink salmon in odd years. And I can't leave out spring black sea bass fishing at Neah Bay, one after another till you get tired of catching them!

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 07/31/02 04:20 PM

Good ideas, Mike.

One question: what's the peak 2 week period for odd-year pink salmon fishing at Hoodsport?

Thanks!

Glad you're back from your vacation.
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 07/31/02 04:47 PM

Chums at Hoodsport anytime in November.

Pinks off of Mukilteo the 3rd weekend in August and Labor Day weekend.
Posted by: Mike C

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 07/31/02 08:25 PM

I'm not familar with Hoodsport pinks, have only done the chum thing.
Posted by: Downriggin

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 07/31/02 10:30 PM

You can find Pinks the first week after 4 July (ood years) in the Canal. My favorite river is the "Dosie" just after mid month. They are a scream on a 5wt. You'll find them below the 101 bridge/state park on the far ledge and/or slightly deeper water. Or, you can fish the flats right at the mouth.

Downriggin'
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 07/31/02 11:48 PM

I have a 5/6, and im continually asking what flies to use in rivers for salmon and steelhead, so if you guys can name your hottest patterns thatd be awesome!

I think I had the most fun in the Skagit last year for Pinks. I never got a thing, it was like my second time fishing. I did pick up a few small cutts (I believe... They could have been bows but I doubt it) but no humpies. But man, seeing those people fighting them... It gave me all the adrenaline I needed. I woulda stayed till midnight the next night.

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 08/01/02 03:26 PM

We got Skagit pinks every 3rd cast or so last year (every day we fished it, and we fished it maybe 5 days) once we located pinks breaking the surface of the water every 30 seconds (or more often) over an area that's maybe 100' long. They moved each day. Besides that, the trick was to use 2" bubble-gum colored twist-tail plastic worms ("grubs") on 1/4 oz. unpainted jig heads. Then let it FREE-FALL for 2.5 seconds or so, then reel in half-a-turn or so, then repeat CONSTANTLY. A boat was a "must" for the best fishing!! Sedro Wooley area is where we fished.

Didn't fly-fish much there, but on the Harrison River I've got pinks virtually EVERY cast at times, in slower water, using a fly called a "Sockeye"....it's on kman.com, and you get what they refer to as the "red" color, even though it is actually very PINK (gotta be pink in reality, since no other color usually even comes remotely close to the same success rate.) The key is to let it FALL for about 2.5 seconds, just like the jig I mention above.

DaleD

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 08/04/02 01:16 PM

Posted by: sushi

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 08/04/02 02:51 PM

as far as in washington i'm still looking.

my favorite stretch of water to fish is in montana, one of the first three damded lakes on the missouri river. holter lake, gates of the mountains area, hands down, is my favorite lake. consistant rainbows over 20", and monster walley. when the fishings slow your in the middle of one of the most beautiful places around.
Posted by: FishnfellaS

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 08/04/02 07:21 PM

Another incredable spot: RAINBOW ALLEY
Upper Babine river as it comes out of Babine Lake
Near Smithers BC. Rainbow till your arm drops off! Use stoneflies and
alevins in August. Most fish 3# to 6# and STRONG. C&R.
Posted by: PELICAN

Re: Your most productive fishery!? - 08/07/02 07:56 AM

Hey Dale, Don't forget Paulina, and Wickiup Lakes for big Browns. Especially after first ice out Last of April to the First part of May. I remember being at East Lake in the Middle of May and waking up to 6 inches of snow. Beautiful area lived in Bend for about 5 years. Hopr to get back there some time. Miss it. Take Care.