Green River Silvers!

Posted by: Easy Limits

Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 12:53 AM

The silvers are in! Here are two I caught this afternoon in 30 minutes. I also lost one too.
Posted by: SalmonFisherJeff

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 02:41 AM

Hi EL!

Nice fish. Where on the Green did you catch them?

Have a great weekend!

SFJ
Posted by: sushi

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 02:57 AM

hey easy nice fish. how big are they now? i seem to remember the big guys come in after the little ones. my smoker feels depressed from lack of use. i haven't been out since my hydrolic trim is sort of shot, maybe bank fishing the green will be the answer to my problems.anyway, keep the pretty pictures comin!

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 03:59 AM

I picked up this pair (I am guessing 5 and 6 lbs.) below the 1st Ave bridge (only portion that is open right now). After the 16th, Monday, a big portion of the river is open above the 1st Ave bridge. I usually fish it in my boat up to the Pak Hwy bridge pulling Wiggle Warts like for these two fish. Sushi, your boat will fit in this river above 1st Ave.
Posted by: sushi

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 01:28 PM

hey carl, thanks for the tip. where do you launch to fish the green? i could launch out of west seattle, but there is probably a better place closer in. are silvers caught largely at tide change in the river??? thanks

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 04:38 PM

There is a launch just under the 1st Ave bridge. That one will be a lot closer than W. Seattle.

Yesterday, the tide change was at 5 PM. I caught those fish right around 5 PM. Today, I fished from 8 to 12 PM, no tide change no fish. frown
Posted by: PhishPhreak

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 07:08 PM

You may want to point out that trolling wiggle warts are against the 'bobber and bait only' regs. Just in case others who are heading down there prefer to follow the law and not the crowd...
Posted by: Snowbird5234

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 09:37 PM

Good point out PhishPhreak,I was thinking the same if fishing anything other than bait /bobber was ilegal in that part of the Duwamish.

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/14/02 11:14 PM

The both of you are right.

However, out of a dozen boats, or so, out there this morning I did not see any bait/bobber combos in the four hours I fished.

I am guilty as charged!

Boy, where is enforcement when you need them? :p
Posted by: PhishPhreak

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 12:16 AM

This is actually a public record. If someone wanted to prosecute you, they could use this and other posts of yours as evidence. Not likely, but possible. Careful what you post! Better yet, careful how you fish. Your a good guy it seems, and a few fish really aren't worth it!!

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 01:39 AM

I am glad you guys are paying attention. I don't mean to come across like some A hole fisherman who does not give a carp.

When I first saw the bait/bobber reg (new this year) I thought "what the hell are they (WDFW) thinking?". This reg really messes it up for the dozen or so people who fish the lower Green at this time of year. Bait suspended beneath a bobber, come on now, isn't this a little rediculous? My bait is a Wiggle Wart and my bobber is my boat. laugh I know, rules are rules and I am for the most part observant of the rules and follow them.

When I launch my boat at the 1st Ave bridge and turn right to head down stream. I see every boat trolling plugs, not a single bobber in the water. I am compelled to say "what the hell, they are doing it I can too" and not feel bad about it because the reg is unwarranted in my opinion. If WDFW is going to make up such a retarded reg why don't they just close that portion of the river so we don't think that much less of them as an organization?

Those are my thoughts on the topic.

Heck, only one more day to go before some real fishing begins. cool

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 08:09 PM

Here ya go boyz! I was RIGHT after all. :p :p

BTW, we got four more (limited) silvers today on pink Wiggle Warts. smile
Posted by: NewBieFishermen

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 09:50 PM

Damn Easy, you catch a lot of fish. If you ever need a fishing partner let me know. I always pay for gas and beer.
Posted by: Fish Guy Keith

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 10:06 PM

Sweet catch Easy Limits!!! Can you tell me where the boat launch is under the 1st Ave bridge? I was there once a few years ago and all I remember is going up pacific hwy. over the bridge and taking the first right after it, from there I'm lost.

Anyone no when they put the nets in and take them out?

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 10:24 PM

Probably the easiest way to get to the launch at 1st Ave bridge is to head north on E. Marginal and turn left at 4th Ave. Right by Matt's Chili Dogs. Follow the little side street down between some warehouses and you are there. Ramp and river on your left, parking on your right.

If their netting schedule is like last year. Nets go in Sunday afternoon and are out Thursday afternoon. You and I get fresh fish Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. frown

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 11:20 PM

Thanks alot Easy Limits!! So when you gonna hit it again? I'm thinking I might give it a try on Tuesday. If ya see a guy out there in a Valco with a 7.5 evinrude that'll be me give me shout!

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 11:22 PM

Tomorrow, I will be fishing from the bank by S.112th St. There is a low tide in the morning around 8 which is perfect.

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/15/02 11:56 PM

If I get time I might try it tommorow! Who knows maybe I'll just spend all week up there! laugh

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 12:29 AM

I can tell you once the nets are in the river, upstream from the nets goes DEAD! Not a fish to be found. If you can't make it out there tomorrow I would wait till next Saturday to fish it. frown

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 12:39 AM

Hmmmm.....Maybe I'll have to get up there tommorow. Too bad they dont put them in for the weekends. It sure is a lot less crowded on the weekdays!
Posted by: troller

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 09:51 AM

We put in 6 hours sunday and didnt get a thing. Tried wiggle warts (green, red, and blue) dick nites, bait busters. fish seemed to be pretty tight lipped. Did it pick up sunday after noon. Does anyone no how high up the indians net. Also do you have to weave thru them to get down stream or do they leave the middle open. I have tommorow off work and was going to go fishing but probably will cancel if I cant get past the nets. I am moored above the 14th ave bridge. Hey Easy limits I saw you out their didnt get a chance to talk to you before you headed back up river. I was in the green alumaweld trolling three poles. Hey when you were talking tide change are talking the high tide change.

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 03:28 PM

I don't think high or low tide change really matters as much as just fishing a tide change. An incoming tide really brings in the fish.

BTW, I fished down off of S. 112th from the bank this morning. I hooked into three kings soon to broken off by their own raw power. eek eek I saw one guy catch a CHUM about 12 lbs. Another guy next to me caught a small Dolly Varden. Two fish that seemed to be out of place in the Green this time of year. rolleyes

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 03:56 PM

What was everyone down there using? I am thinking about giving it a shot tomorrow morning.
Posted by: troller

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 03:57 PM

I will be fishing again tommorow morning hopefully I can make it thru the nets to some clear water.

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 04:51 PM

All of the guys fishing where I was fishing this morning were either pitching eggs or using Blue Fox's. I was using a size 3 orange body/gold blade Blue Fox. The water is still really stained so bright colors (orange, pink, red, white) will work best. Remember, single hook and barbless for non bouyant lures.
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 04:57 PM

I stopped by for a look-see (@ 112th) and noted lots of fishing jumping and rolling. Saw one king released and 2 smaller coho put on the beach. I hung around for less than an hour as my day job was calling.

Newbee,
Lots of guys drifting eggs. The guys who hooked fish near me were tossing spinnners (looked like #4 and #5s).

JMS

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 07:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I will be out there tomorrow morning.
Posted by: kennyray

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 09:16 PM

Hey Carl,

I see you've been doin' well!
Good Times cool
Let me get this straight.
Elliott Bay is open for Silvers
according to that link you posted
previously? Or did I misunderstand
that WDFW statement?

Ken

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/16/02 11:17 PM

I don't have the regs in front of me right now but I am pretty sure Elliott Bay is open for silvers.

You should try for them in the river. Smaller field of play and still chrome bright. smile There are so many of them in the river you can get wet fishing for them because they jump and splash you in your boat. eek

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/17/02 12:26 AM

went out and got nothin today. But saw them roll all aroundd us !! oh well didnt see to many boated either!!

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/17/02 08:56 PM

Hey there Easy Limits are fishing by that Boeing building there with all the windows in it and a red (i think) bridge for pedestians when you fish from the bank?? If so I've probably seen you there quite a few times. I've fished that hole there quite a bit. I used to drag a small aluminum boat down the bank just up river from there and I've even packed it in there once. We should hook up sometime and go fishin and kill a beer or 2 or 3!

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/17/02 11:20 PM

Sure, we can hook up. I will be spending my weekends boating the river up to Pacific Hwy. Pulling Wiggle Warts all the way! :p
Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/19/02 01:23 PM

EASY,
can you give me directions to the lower river, ive never been down to it, is the lower river open? i checked the regs and its a confusing mess..from this bridge to the next is open and the this that bridge is closed from here to there, i would like to fish from the bank for silvers if i can..anyways, you can email with directions if you want..bb
Posted by: Floatuber

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/20/02 02:36 PM

No luck this morning. Tried for 3 hours and out of the 20 people down on 112th I only saw one Silver caught all morning. Being the first time I have fished for Salmon (besides the Puyallup, yeah) it was fun.

Those silvers sure put on one hell of a feeding show. I enjoyed watching them naturally more than realing in nothing.

Also I could not beleive how the tide changed that river. When low tide hit it was LOW. I was walking up to my chest in water and when I came back I was on wet ground. Couldn't beleive such a drastic change.

But anyway had fun watching nature but wish I could have caught my FIRST SALMON. Maybe next time. I am determined. Hope the fish are on my side. Or atleast one of them.

Thanks easy for the help. DIdn't work but it at least got me there.

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/21/02 12:50 AM

I caught two more silvers this afternoon fishing the Green. A 6.5 and 7 pounder. Both fish were caught trolling pink Wiggle Warts.

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/22/02 08:22 PM

My cousin Mike picked up this nice coho Sunday morning. He caught it on a metallic pink Brad's Wiggler. This is his first fish on his new rod and reel. cool
Posted by: Busy

Re: Green River Silvers! - 09/22/02 09:29 PM

Nice fish Carl. Mine was caught on a metalic green WiggleWart with a red spot on the bottom. Lots of fish in the Green but not many people catching fish. Sad to see the Indians beginning to net when I left.