24 volt trolling motor question

Posted by: HunterWA73

24 volt trolling motor question - 11/22/02 12:30 AM

I just got from UPS my 24 volt minn kota.
I have a question about wiring the batteries in series.

I have 3 batteries on my boat. One for the motor. And 2 others one under each console. Right now I have 2 down riggers on the boat and each one is wired to its own battery. These are the batteries I want to wire togather for my 24 volt trolling motor. But if I wire them in series + bat one to - bat 2 then then - bat one to motor and + bat 2 to motor can I still wire my downriggers like I have them?

Thanks for the info.

Hunter
Posted by: Bob

Re: 24 volt trolling motor question - 11/22/02 12:58 AM

If I understand your scenario correctly .... NO, don't, you'll be hooking up 12 volt components into a 24 volt setup. You'll have to disconnect anything 12v from the circuit if you kick it up to 24 with the batteries in series.
Posted by: TRAUT

Re: 24 volt trolling motor question - 11/23/02 11:53 PM

Yes, you can. Just make sure that you only connect the downriggers to a single battery(each) and the trolling motor will be hooked one wire to to + on one battery and the - on the other. The downriggers will be hooked to the appropriate + and - of their individual battery. You will have more than one wire coming off each terminal. This is tougher to explain than it is to hook up. E-mail me or send private message w/ your phone #, and I'll help you get it right if this post doesn't help.