Yakima - when to fish

Posted by: Little Fish

Yakima - when to fish - 02/14/03 02:05 PM

Just looking for some general information on when to fish the Yakima. I'm still deciphering the regs, but would like to do a float down the canyon and wanted to get a general idea on when things heat up over there. Thanks for any input.
James
Posted by: starfisher

Re: Yakima - when to fish - 02/18/03 09:30 AM

Check out worleybuggerflyco.com They are the fly shop of choice in Ellensburg. They offer a wide range of options from guided trips to info on river and hatch reports. Maps too. Great site!
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Yakima - when to fish - 02/21/03 01:11 PM

Starfisher, thanks for the information. I will check it out.
James
Posted by: PhishPhreak

Re: Yakima - when to fish - 02/24/03 07:46 PM

Bottom line - worth fishing just about year round. If you have a boat, then you don't have to worry too much about the flows - just make sure you have some visibiltiy and adjust your tactics to match the conditions. Faster and higher water usually means fishing tighter to the bank and vise versa...

I was just there last week and it was SLOW. Very wade-able and pretty, but cold. If you find a warming trend and the flows are reasonable, that would be your best bet. Anyway, I was also wondering when they usually open up the dams more for irragation? That's when I back off because my favorite spots to fish tend be under too much water then...