When do the bass turn on?

Posted by: Anyfishldo

When do the bass turn on? - 02/27/03 07:29 PM

Just started bass fishing last fall. What approx month does the bass fishing pick up? Water temp? I am usually hanging out on Snohomish County Lakes. Any info. is appreciated.
Posted by: Jman4686

Re: When do the bass turn on? - 02/28/03 12:54 AM

I usually start bass fishing towards the end of april when they start feeding heavily to get ready to spawn. I think that bass spawn at around 70 degrees in the local lakes. I have caught bass in most of the lakes that are in snohomish county, including lake ballinger, martha lake, lake ki, lake goodwin, lake stevens, flowing lake, the list goes on. Pretty much all the lakes have bass in them, some more than others. I think that the biggest thing to remember when selecting a bait is think small and work your way up. Small crankbaits like rapalas, small grubs, and small leeches carolina rigged have worked especially well for me during the spawning period for me. Hope this helps.
Posted by: micropterus101

Re: When do the bass turn on? - 02/28/03 01:45 AM

Right now is when I start fishing for largemouth bass. the water is still cold but the fish are getting more active especially in the evenings. I dont bother going out till 2:00. drag small jigs slowly across the bottom pausing every couple feet for about 10 seconds. Fish just out from structure you have caught fish off of in the warmer months then move in. Dont fish right on the bank, keep your boat just within casting distance of your target. Bass can see better in cold water and they also seem to be insecure until the water warms up some. I see alot of people have there boats where there lures should be. When the water warms up to fifty five slow roll chartreuse spinner baits over pad fields.
Posted by: Metalhead Mojo

Re: When do the bass turn on? - 02/28/03 02:57 AM

largemouth are at their most active just before they spawn, this takes place sometime in the early spring. find someone you know who has dogwood trees, they will bloom at close to the same time that the bass start to spawn. before then, i just fish trout since the lakes are full of hatchery plants and the bass are hit and miss.
Posted by: Tabfry

Re: When do the bass turn on? - 03/02/03 06:22 PM

Since it's been so mild thei winter, I think that mid March is when you should start hitting 'em. Start the season with short worms on a carolina rig. Probably around 4-5 inches, getting longer as the water warms