Otters

Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Otters - 07/10/03 02:28 PM

Lately there have been several otter sightings at the local lake (yep, the very same one i am ranting on about every summer laugh )

Will this hurt the fishing? Definitely a sight to see, but I'm a little worried at the same time....

Curtis
Posted by: Duck In The Fog

Re: Otters - 07/10/03 04:05 PM

It's call natural predation. They have as much right there (if not more) than you do. Beautiful to watch. I've never seen another animal have so much fun just to be alive. The Duck

Re: Otters - 07/10/03 05:37 PM

No one saw them last year is the thing... And them, combined with increasing eagle/osprey populations... Makes me wonder.

Curtis
Posted by: Seattlerocket

Re: Otters - 07/10/03 06:01 PM

Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Otters - 07/10/03 09:11 PM

I hear that they smoke up real good. wink

We see otters quite regulalry out at Sekiu, and they are always a treat to watch.
Posted by: milkBottleMikey

Re: Otters - 07/13/03 03:55 PM

They can be downright mean, especially if they have young ones. Quite common in the tidal streams I fish- don't back them into a corner or fish behind them coz nothin's gonna bite. I always try to get around them asap.

They have the funniest, almost human grunt when you get too close, showing their displeasure by your presence.

Re: Otters - 07/13/03 06:39 PM

hehe yep i got to see them up close... the funniest part was a guy who was reeling in kokanee number five, brought up his stringer, and all the fish were gone. OTTERS!

Pretty animals, I really did like them. I've heard a lot of funny stories about them stealing fish from stringers and from anglers (while reeling them in!).

Curtis
Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

Re: Otters - 07/18/03 06:15 PM

if your talking about deep lake, ya, i heard of them fish stealing otters, but they are kinda cool to watch, also a family of them on riffe lake..