Power Bait for Wild Trout

Posted by: Slow73

Power Bait for Wild Trout - 04/09/05 09:16 PM

Hello, all. I am new here. I was wondering if I can catch wild cuts and rainbows with Power Bait? I know it works with hatchery fish. Has anyone of this forum had luck with wild trout using power bait? Squalicum Lk drains into a nice size pond in my area. Squalicum has 'bows and cutts. Thanx.

Tight Lines
Posted by: bank walker

Re: Power Bait for Wild Trout - 04/09/05 11:09 PM

If hatchery fish hit it, so will the wilds. I highly suggest not using bait for wild trout. Trout often swallow bait, and intern they puncture critical arteries and cause very high mortality rates. You will catch just as many trout with a wee dic nite spoon, than ripping their guts out with bait.
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Power Bait for Wild Trout - 04/11/05 12:47 PM

I have heard of guys using Powerbait for steelhead in rivers with success. So, it would be safe to assume that if steelhead will take Powerbait a wild trout will bite too.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Power Bait for Wild Trout - 04/14/05 11:18 PM

Forget the power bait unless you plan on feeding the local Ospreys. Stick with a box of flies or spinners.
Posted by: Kent near Monroe

Re: Power Bait for Wild Trout - 04/18/05 05:14 AM

Power bait works great. Pull a big wad from the jar and keep it in your cheek and squirt out a worm size piece. Place this on your size 4 treble hook and huck it out with a 1 oz weight. Sit back and drink a beer or 2. Be sure to hang on to your rod as a behemoth trout will soon latch on and give you the fight of your life. Take no heed of the fly fishers that feel they are better than you by suggesting a trout likes to eat a tiny little fly. No, trout like a Big Mac just like you and are fat and lazy. For even bigger fish, buy some cocktail shrimp and add a few of those to your hook. Bring some cocktail sauce and if you don't catch the lunker you can always eat your bait. Now come on can a fly fisher say that....... laugh