Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard

Posted by: Poacher Hater

Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard - 08/06/05 07:39 PM

I just bought a new gas tank and using the old connections and tubing/primber bulb the bulb wouldn't get hard thus no gas getting to outboard. I then bought a new primber bulb and same problem!!!!!! Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks
Posted by: SnoHoh

Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard - 08/07/05 11:38 AM

Had that problem once, I messed around with new primer bulb retightening the connections, everthing. finaly i just went and bought new hose and it wroked. "my guess is it had a pin hole in it" maybe yours dose to. Hope this helps Good luck
Posted by: kjackson

Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard - 08/07/05 11:43 AM

You did open the vent on the tank, right? Sometimes "we" forget those simple things, not that I ever have...

Two other thoughts...first, there is a check valve in the system to keep gas going to the motor and preventing backflow. It is often in the primer bulb. Did you install it following the direction of the arrows on the bulb? The second check valve is (I think) in the fitting at the tank, designed to keep gas from flowing back into the tank (or maybe just to keep it from leaking when the hose is disconnected. If both of those locked open, then you wouldn't be able to maintain pressure. But the simplest thing is as suggested-- an air leak somewhere.

Keith
Posted by: TRAUT

Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard - 08/07/05 08:32 PM

I've noticed that nearly all the Tempo brand primer bulbs have leaky check valves. Generally not leaking bad enough to cause serious problems though.

Try holding the bulb vertically when squeezing it, with the line to the motor up. This lets gravity help seal the check valve.

Also, depending on the outboard, the float in the carbuerater might not be shuting off, but you'd be flooding the engine if that happens.

I was told by an Evinrude mechanic that the bulb doesn't need to be rock hard, but just firm enough to ensure that the fuel line is full and the carb bowl has fuel. Once the engine starts, the fuel pump draws the fuel through the line.
Posted by: Poacher Hater

Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard - 08/08/05 08:45 PM

The bulb was backwards!!!!!!!! Live and learn!

Thanks
Posted by: Mike C

Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard - 08/09/05 12:14 AM

Been there, done that! rofl
Posted by: kjackson

Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard - 08/09/05 11:09 AM

I discovered the need to orient the bulb in the right direction while doing a boat test where we had to tear apart the fuel line to install the gauges....it took forever to discover our error (there were two of us working on the test). Fortunately, there were no other witnesses....

Glad it was an easy and inexpensive fix.

Keith