New to fishin trout ...what do i use???

Posted by: New2TroutFishN

New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/02/06 10:14 PM

I use to salmon fish about five years or so ago ....but life has kept me away i recently got a small fishing boat and a new trolling motor because i want to lake fish for trout...thing is i dont know what sort of tackle to use except power bait....i dont know all the terminology so i get confused when i read stuff online...so i guess i need some basics and how to set up my line....could anyone help?
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/02/06 11:59 PM

Where are you going to be fishing at? Just a general area or even lakes to be specific and I could help you out some more....
Posted by: Sebastes

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/03/06 01:31 AM

WDF&G weekly plantings indicate the best possibilities for planted trout which occurs particularly this time of year and in to May.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/plants/weekly/

Many lowland lakes restrict motors to electric so be sure to check the regulations.

Bait fishermen tend to powerbait.

Boat fishermen can troll flies or small spoons or
Pop gear or wedding rings with worms, powerbait, or the new gulp artificial worms which work well well for trolling.
Posted by: Ichtyoid

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/03/06 01:42 AM

Rapalas with a bit of worm trailing off the back.

Slays 'em.
Posted by: bassmaster

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/03/06 03:40 AM

You can use a gold panther martin woks great I"ve caught trout bass just about everything on it. Also I"ve used flies with a fly rod or I have a way to use a spinning rod with flies works great. I have a couple of lakes out here I love to fish. If I can help drop me an e-mail I"m retired so I got some time also I tie flies if you do not I might have a few to help you out.
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/05/06 11:10 AM

Size F5 frog colored Flat Fish works for me. Just drag it along the surface.

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/06/06 01:10 AM

I agree with Easy Limits except I go with F4 just a smaller size and I go with Size 70 Hotshots they are about the same size and all colors usually brighter colors but also natural colors plus needlefish, kastmasters, wedding rings, and other various lures you can find in your

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/06/06 01:10 AM

I agree with Easy Limits except I go with F4 just a smaller size and I go with Size 70 Hotshots they are about the same size and all colors usually brighter colors but also natural colors plus needlefish, kastmasters, wedding rings, and other various lures you can find in your
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/06/06 01:11 PM

Try trolling a ball of Power Bait too. Use the same set up as you would if you were plunking and troll it.
Posted by: rp2000r

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/11/06 02:31 PM

What is a good color and size for the Kastmaster's
Posted by: Bill G

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/14/06 04:22 PM

A killer bait i used when fish are finicky is a bent piece of metal called a Super Duper you can get them at Wal-mart. I use a slow troll and a sweeping action like when you Walleye fish. This makes the lure rise and fall in the water column.
I like the larger sizes and put a good quality swivel a foot or two up the line.
Posted by: Mike C

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/15/06 12:18 AM

I've caught a lot of fish with Super Dupers. thumbs
Posted by: Sullie

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/16/06 02:58 PM

i like to troll panther martins,in silver, gold, orange/yellow, and black/orange; wedding rings, pinks and reds, i like the silver blade over the gold blade; flat fish, red/yellow/black, rocket red, and silver. i also like to troll dick nites of all sorts of colors. if fishin is slow i like to put a small piece of worm or power bait on. you would be suprised that almost anything you throw at the trout, will put a fish in the boat.

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/16/06 08:05 PM

to rp200or, on the subject of kastmasters, i go with all silver, gold, silver with a green or blue stripe, and the rainbow trout color. Those seem to be the most productive. I like all silver. I have some other colors in my tacklebox but have yet to bring them out...and size is like about an inch or so maybe an inch and a centemeter not too big but not the smallest size they have...
Posted by: Bill G

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/19/06 12:16 PM

It really doesn't mater what we all like, The inportant thing is what do the fish like right now. So keep changing baits and presentations till they tell you what to stick with.
Posted by: Bucktail

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/19/06 03:02 PM

ok here is my usual rotation. Stop rotation when you start catching fish

on the west side
1. Frog Pattern Flatfish
2. Green Hotshot
3. Green/silver Rooster tail
4. Wedding ring w/ a redworm
5. Large Black Wooleybuggers

troll along droppoff edges of lake.
Posted by: cowlitzkiller

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/20/06 07:40 PM

I fish the wooley bugger with a water bobber and i use a little fly float cream...and reel just fast enought to get a V from bolt the fly and the bobber oh use like 3 feet of 4 pound leader...killer setup...

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/20/06 08:53 PM

A lot of the little stockers don't really care about what they see...I haven't found much of a difference between different kinds of lures and spinners, but I do get a little more trolling things like flatfish and hotshots tho...
Posted by: TDUB

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/27/06 07:17 PM

2 WORDS- RIPPIN MINNOW

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 04/27/06 11:17 PM

just go to like g.i joes and ask a man in the fishing department what to use around the local lakes they should hook you up pretty well

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 05/10/06 12:16 AM

I did really well last weekend going with the old favorite an bright red f4 flatfish with a tiny egg weight (just to get it down a little maybe 3-5 feet) ahead of the swivel and a 3 foot leader tipped with a piece of nightcrawler it slayed them....I mean like 25 planters in no time all released...I am going to throw on a single hook to see if that gives better hooksets i dunno about that treble hook they come with
Posted by: Ichtyoid

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 05/13/06 01:46 PM

just take half a worm, hook it on the bottom rear hook, squirt some stink oil on the whole works, throw it in the water, and drag it about 50 yds behind your boat at about a good walking pace.
Posted by: fever

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 05/31/06 10:16 PM

I got a tackle box of gear that has worked once or twice, but the set up that almost always produces fish either wild or stocked is a WORM!!

Troll it or sink it.
Posted by: madcapmag

Re: New to fishin trout ...what do i use??? - 06/01/06 02:50 AM

My favorite trout trolling list:

Black size 6 Woolly Bugger
Green Perch size 70 Hot Shot
Frog F4 Flatfish

All 3 of these, I've found, are most effective when trolling VERY slow. I kick around in my float tube, but its like I'm waling really really slowly.

With the woolly bugger, I'll put line floatant (available in the fly-fishing section of all sporting goods stores) on the first 50-75 feet of main line, Then a small barrel swivel (size 12 or smaller), a 2 or 3 foot leader, then the wooly bugger. The line floatnat will keep it from sinking too far down.

Both the Flatfish and Hot Shot have a tendency to barrel-roll if you go to fast. Both have lots of action even when you are going slow. Its a test of patience, it real easy to go fast trying to cover water, but its more effective if you work each part thoroughly.