Help with a Shotgun

Posted by: Hog King

Help with a Shotgun - 04/03/03 06:36 PM

I picked up an older shotgun a while back and am wondering what kind of choke it might have.

It's a Wards Western Field, 16 gauage, made by Savage Arms, model SB562A S/N 390XX. Don't know when it was made, and have not contacted Savage as yet for info.

I can't find any markings on it that say anything about the choke.

I like the old "Store Brands". Reminds me of the days when background checks weren't required. It wasn't neccesary to apply to the Federal Gov't for permission to exercise a Constitutionally gauranteed right! Heck, my 1st gun was a single shot break-open 16 ga. that I bought in Walla Walla at the hardware store for $30 when I was about 14.

Anyhoo......I figure to use it on grouse and maybe as a slug gun for blacktail.

Any info is muchly appreciated!
Posted by: WaderBurps

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/03/03 07:23 PM

I guess full. To find out for sure.

Get your hands on a choke gauge.

http://www.gunshop.com/galt0251.htm

Or measure with calipers and try to figure it out from this chart.

http://www.westc.co.za/chokes.htm
Posted by: KingFisher85

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/04/03 12:15 AM

If you can take a dime and be able to fit it into the end of your barrel, then its not a full choke. Get what am saying?

If your hands are to big, get some pliers, get a good grip on the dime so it does not fall down into your barrel. If you can stick the dime into the in of your barrel, the end that the shot comes out, then your good to shoot slugs, maybe.

Now on your barrel does it say anything? Does it say (P) or proof Steel? If it says (P) its proof and I would not feel safe shooting steel shot out of it. Foster type slugs are questionable, "Lead" Buckshot and "lead" birdshot ONLY, they will do OK.
If it says proof steel then you can shoot steel shot out of it without to many worries. But if it is a fixed choke like it sounds, and its a full choke. I don't care if it says proof steel or not. You start shooting BBB out of it or any of them goose or turkey loads out of it, your gonna split that barrel right in two sooner or later.

I may not be very old but I've been around guns many years, know my stuff, seen what happens when full chokes blow with heavy loads and have seen many other shotgun problems.
Others will tell you some stuff on this, this is just my 2 cents worth.

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/04/03 12:19 AM

WaderBurps~~The only problem with them choke measurement tools is that if you got a foreign gun, they will not work. Foreign chokes are tighter, smaller diameter then American chokes.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/04/03 10:27 AM

Me, I would drop it by a gunsmith or shop and see what they say.

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/07/03 01:31 PM

A dime is not a more accurate measuring devise than a choke gauge. Both have flaws as a measuring tool but I would never shove a dime down the barrel of my gun. Dimes are easly deformed and should never be relied upon as a measuring tool (especialy with a fire arm). If you don't have the tools to accuratly measure your choke go to a gun shop.

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/08/03 11:25 AM

Also, I've been told that dime trick is for a 12 gauge not a 16 gauge, not 100% sure though.

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/08/03 12:20 PM

oh, now I feel stupid beathead beathead 12ga, 16ga
Posted by: Zen Leecher aka Bill W

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/09/03 01:22 PM

I was gonna say the dime test is for 12 gauge shotguns only. It won't fit in the barrel, much less the choke area of 16 gauge shotguns.

Your 16 gauge is probably a full choke. Most guns sold in the old days were full choke.

My first shotgun was a single shot 16 gauge -- full choke. The first one I bought was a 12 gauge and I was a little leery of getting one that only had a modified choke.

Times sure change. My duck gun these days usually sports screw in chokes of CYL in the first barrel and IMP CYL in the second.

I also use these combos with lead shot for upland birds. And..... it works real well in shooting 5 stand with trap loads as most shots are within 35 yards.
Posted by: Hog King

Re: Help with a Shotgun - 04/15/03 03:55 PM

Thanks for the info, fellas!