Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!

Posted by: Anonymous

Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/10/03 07:11 PM

Hot of the press! Guess who I thought of after reading this?
HPB and Bri24, thats right..

Well here ya go now you can support the efforts toward re-intruduction efforts... laugh

=========================
Emergency Action to Save America's Wolves
Click here to donate

Dear Friend of Wildlife,

America's wolves are in grave danger!

Interior Secretary Gale Norton has taken the first step to remove federal protections for Northern gray wolves.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife service has just released a rule that dramatically reduces federal protections for wolves and sets the stage for prematurely removing these wolves from Endangered Species Act protections entirely.

This action would literally turn back the clock to a time when government officials actively promoted the wolf's extermination.

Wolves are only beginning to recover from almost a century of slaughter and near extinction in the lower 48 states. Without the Endangered Species Act many wolves have little hope for survival.

That's why I'm asking you to make a tax-deductible emergency donation to Defenders of Wildlife today. And if you make a gift of $25 or more, we'll send you our Defenders howling wolf pup with our thanks.

Many states -- especially those surrounding Yellowstone National Park -- are taking actions that threaten the live of these wolves.

The reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone is considered by many to be one of the greatest wildlife conservation victories of the 20th century.

Now, should Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton, other anti-wolf politicians and special interests prevail, the Yellowstone wolves -- and wolves throughout the U.S. -- could be slaughtered.

We cannot let this happen! Defenders must use every means possible to save America's wolves.

We need your support now to mobilize our grassroots networks, offset the high costs of this campaign to educate the public, stop this action in the courts and step up all our efforts to protect wolves and other endangered wildlife.

Time is of the essence. If we are to save America's wolves, we need the support of caring people like you.

Please send your emergency donation today!

Thank you.

Rodger Schlickeisen

P.S. We are already planning to take legal action to protect America's wolves. Please take a moment to send a donation and sign the online legal letter of support. Your letter will demonstrate the citizen support we need to win in court.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/10/03 07:13 PM

I just had an idea for you two.. Maybe start a Washington Chapter of Wolves Unlimited!
Posted by: lupo

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 11:06 AM

what is wrong with re-introduction of wolves? is this more redneck babble or does someone on this bored actually support something good?
Posted by: CWUgirl

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chappy:
what is wrong with re-introduction of wolves? is this more redneck babble or does someone on this bored actually support something good?
Are you kidding? Well, if you value game animals (deer and elk) it most definitely would be a bad idea. Re-introduction of wolves would be disasterous to the herds. We can't seem to keep our cougars and bears under control in this state, what makes people think that we can with wolves?

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 12:32 PM

Redneck babble!!! Bawahahahaha!

Please enlighten me on where the funding will come from for the reintroduction and the maintenance of that...

Maybe you should lead the chapter of Wolf Unlimited? and bri24 and HPB will have someone else to feel all warm and cuddly with.
Posted by: KNOPHISH

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 02:23 PM

I'd like to donate some lead. KaBOOM

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 03:07 PM

Here's a great explaination from a PhD on why we should not re-introduce wolves. http://www.mtmultipleuse.org/wolfreport.htm
Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 03:16 PM

having seen actualy pictures of wolf kills, that my friend actually took himself and having seen the wolves eating on the carcasses of 5 cow elk, all of which only had there stomach areas ripped out and everything else was untouched, and not to mention peoples dogs killed by them, horses tied up outside there trailers killed by them, i would be hesistant to reintroduce them..some benefits might be had on sick and injured animals, but there is a huge predadation prob over in idaho becuz of the wolves..no more elk where there used to be many, same with deer, its like man to screw up something good, or should i say the nez perce tribe to mess it up..

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 05:12 PM

badabing badaboom! great job CWU Girl.. Was over your way a few weeks agao doing a flyfishing show for a few days. next time I get over there you'll have to stop by the coffee shop.

Great point BB75 Love the lead idea also!
Posted by: Zen Leecher aka Bill W

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 06:33 PM

I'll donate a box of .30/06 shells.
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 07:21 PM

How about bears?

I think there is a project in the works to reintroduce black bears to the Northwest. I think it was black bears that they said?

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 07:46 PM

Lead Thrower,,

There are very grave concerns about the Grizzly re-introduction taking place around the southern portions of BC..
It has recieved attention from many officials within the Northern parts of Washington.

I believe our Black Bear populations in Wa. are estimated close to 50,000
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 07:50 PM

Oh so they want to reintroduce the Grizzly...

Hum, not sure I like that

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/11/03 08:10 PM

BC,, not WA. BC already has many grizzly and they have hunting for them (managment tool) at least they did a year or so ago.

I am not real familiar on why they are putting more grizz down in the southern part of the Province but it has caught the attention of a few around here.

Back to the wolf, here is some legislation that is taking place down in Oregon right now on the Wolf.
A few things that caught my eye when reading this article were the 15% decline and the incline of beaver also the fact that if this is not approved they would want the state to pay for damage, which in turn means the general public.. Maybe they would just take it out of the Wildlife budget? who knows!

Sure wished the wolf lovers on this board would attempt to give a finacial plan for the wolves they want in our state..

===========================

Ranchers could kill gray wolves under Oregon House bill

By PETER PRENGAMAN
The Associated Press
4/8/03 9:25 PM

SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- Environmentalists and ranchers clashed over the future of the gray wolf in Oregon on Tuesday as lawmakers considered a bill to classify the animals as predatory.

Currently the wolves are protected under the Oregon Endangered Species Act, which prevents ranchers from killing a wolf even when it attacks livestock.

The change would allow rural Oregonians who feel threatened by the animal to kill it on sight.

"We don't want our beef to be eaten by the wolf," said Glen Stonebrink from the Oregon Cattlemen's Association. "Even the fondest people of wolves would have to say they are predators."

The animal has been extinct in Oregon for 50 years, but in 1996 the federal government reintroduced it into central Idaho as an experimental species. The wolf population thrived there, causing Oregon ranchers, hunters and rural residents to fear it will soon find a home across the border.

Though there are no known resident wolves in the state, many Oregonians have reported seeing the animal.

But conservation groups say the wolf worries are overblown and largely inaccurate.

Bob Beschta, a retired hydrology professor at Oregon State University, said the wolves gave their environment a boost. He cited independent research he did in Yellowstone Park, where the wolves were also reintroduced.

Though the wolves lowered the elk population by about 15 percent, they also helped other plants and animal species thrive, Beschta said.

For example, more cottonwood trees along river banks were able to grow to full size because fewer elks were chewing off their leaves. That attracted more beavers, animals that also feed off the trees, Beschta said.

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is working on a plan to make the state's endangered species act more consistent with federal laws regarding wolves. Under the federal Endangered Species Act, ranchers can get permits to kill wolves that threaten their livestock, which Oregon's version doesn't allow.

Ron Anglin, an administrator from the fish and wildlife commission, told the Agricultural and Natural Resources Committee Tuesday that the commission had no intention of introducing wolves in the state. But a wolf management program was being developed for when the animals inevitably settled here, he said.

"Why are we looking at a bill to remove wolves when there are none in the state?" Rep. Kelly Wirth, Corvallis Democrat who is a member of the committee, rhetorically asked her colleagues after Anglin's testimony.

Wirth's question is one that many environmentalists have asked when committees in both the House and Senate have debated wolf legislation the past month. Though neither chamber has made any decisions, Democratic Gov. Ted Kulongoski would likely veto any bill passed.

"The governor doesn't support the repeal of the state endangered species act," said spokeswoman Mary Ellen Glynn. "And he doesn't think the wolf should be exempted."

Glynn said Kulongoski supports the management plan currently being drafted by the fish and wildlife commission.

Farmers and ranchers say the process is too slow and too costly.

If the wolf stays on the state endangered species list, the state should have to pay for any livestock attacks," said Greg Addington from the Oregon Farm Bureau.

------

On the Net:

HB3075 http://www.leg.state.or.us/

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/12/03 12:59 PM

Sounds good to me Driftboater!!

Hey.. I am thinking about invading your duck hunting board. What's your moniker on there??

You guys need serious help to keep from being boring. Well, you are duck hunters...But still! :p
Posted by: Arklier

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/12/03 08:37 PM

I support bringing back the wolf to their native habitat, myself. Wolves are a part of nature, and before humans came around, they got along just fine with the elk and deer population. Some people seem to think that a population of a few dozen wolves is going to effect the state's deer herds. That's rediculous. What's more, wolves are afraid of humans. Most of the 'wolf' sightings are wolf-dogs (which some people seem to like as pets), or just plain dogs. More deer are killed by cars than by wolves. I don't see anyone advocating putting a lead slug in every car that passes a 'deer crossing' sign just because it might kill a deer. Managing wildlife responsibly includes predators like wolves. What I see a lot of times when people object to wolves or other predators being re-introduced comes across as a lot of greedy game grabbing. "HOW DARE THOSE CANINES EAT _MY_ DEER!"

Feh.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/12/03 09:16 PM

Quote:
Managing wildlife responsibly includes predators like wolves
OK, its wonderful that you feel wolves should be re-introduced.
The question I have been asking all you type and have yet to get any answer. Just how would you finance this endeaver, who should pay for it? how should they pay for it?

Maybe you, Bri88 and HPB could come up with somekind of plan!

I posed a few tax ideas for bring the wolf back on another thread, how about a tofu tax? maybe a special volvo tax, or a organic vegi tax?

CWUGirl,, that board could use a little salt and pepper hope you stop by once in awhile. They need a leader for the Upland Bird forum..

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/12/03 09:27 PM

CWUGirl,,,

just in case you forgot the web addy

http://209.15.197.99/html/modules.php?name=Forums

OK, maybe it need a little cajun seasoning instead of some salt and pepper laugh

Its gone through a revamp since the big crash! but is starting to pick back up and will get busy again closer to the fall seasons.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/12/03 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by driftboater:
[OK, its wonderful that you feel wolves should be re-introduced.
The question I have been asking all you type and have yet to get any answer. Just how would you finance this endeaver, who should pay for it? how should they pay for it?
It should be paid for by private donations and environmental organizations. There are many more serious threats to cattle, deer, and pets than wolves, mountain lions, or bears. Like cars, for instance. And if you say wolves a threat to people, I will laugh at you. More people are run down on the road than get killed by wolves. Hell, if you read the paper, DOGS kill more people than wolves. If you were REALLY worried about the state of the deer herds, cattle, and pets, then you'd be riding a bicycle to work, wouldn't you?

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/12/03 11:04 PM

Ahh wonderful!

Environmental groups and private , now your talking!

What happens when those funds run out and the managment costs continue to rise?
Remeber those animals breed and their numbers increase, thus causing more managment which in turn means more mula!

Who's back will fall on then? since we know donations are not a stable source to rely on, what will be the backbone for your funding?

Hey dude,, I am only stating that I am worried about the funding end of things, even though I would have a blast picking through your arguments about the threats these animals have on us, I will spare you and not waste my time with it.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/13/03 01:29 AM

And what management costs would those be? Once the animals are introduced, they can take care of themselves. Sure, they might be required to be moved or even killed every now and then if they came into contact with people, but this thread has proven that there's no shortage of people anxious to do THAT last job privately.

It seems that a lot of people think that wolves dine solely on trophy deer and elk, which is not the case. They like targets with the least risk: the very young, the sick, the weak, the old, and sometimes the unlucky. A healthy adult deer or elk can do serious harm to a wolf, possibly even killing it, either immediately or by starvation if the animal is injured and can no longer hunt. Rabbits, rodents, and other small animals also make up a large part of their diet.

Yeah, I can hear your next argument: What about when a wolf kills Farmer Bob's only cow? As far as that argument goes, I seem to recall that the Sierra Club had a reimbursement program when the Mexican grey wolf was reintroduced to NM, and not one farmer or rancher ever claimed it. The government also has a program to reimburse farmers for lost cattle, and last I heard, the program was rife with abuse, with farmers and ranchers trying to claim animals that clearly died of other causes as wolf kills.

Now, which of these scenarios is preferable from the human standpoint:

1.) A pair of wolves kill a doe and eat it.

2.) A doe crosses the road at the wrong time and gets pasted by a car, totalling the car and possibly killing the driver or passengers in the process.

I don't know about you, but I'd pick #1. A deer totalling a $35,000 car would pay for a lot of cows.

And I'd be really glad to see data that shows that wolves are any kind of threat to humans. More people died in the US last year by falling off ladders than have been killed by wolves in the entire history of our nation.

It's my opinion that we should live on nature's terms, and appriciate what whatever diety you follow has given us. We're part of nature, not above it. Isn't that why we go out hunting and fishing? To keep in touch with the natural world? After all, it's far cheaper to go out and buy fish and meat at the store. It's somewhat dismaying to me to see that people who claim to love the outdoors would have no hesitation about putting a bullet in a wild animal that poses no danger because of old prejudices and the false opinion that they're 'stealing' 'our' game.
Posted by: stilly bum

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/13/03 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arklier:
Sure, they might be required to be moved or even killed every now and then if they came into contact with people, but this thread has proven that there's no shortage of people anxious to do THAT last job privately.

...They like targets with the least risk: the very young, the sick, the weak, the old, and sometimes the unlucky.
1. We have plenty of private citizens who are anxious to thin the cougar population too, but can't do so effectively because of the hound ban. Instead, the state pays a few to kill cougars that have become problems.

2. All deer and elk are part of the "very young" at first.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/13/03 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stilly bum:

2. All deer and elk are part of the "very young" at first.
Yes. So? That's why they all calve at about the same time, and I know that deer fawns have no scent to make them harder to find. Deer and elk have evolved strategies for foiling predators, just as predators have evolved strategies to catch them. Deer and elk will survive with wolves around, just as they survive with mountain lions and bears like there are now.

And just for the record, I'm against the hound ban. I'm all for using hounds to take lions. But then again, the ones that cause problems are mostly in residential areas where you could never hunt them anyway.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/13/03 05:07 AM

Here is an excerpt from Wisconson. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

---------------------------------------------------
Wolf Management costs will increase from a base level of $130,000 yearly at approximately 10% per year from a base year of 1997-98, for the next five years; this does not include depredation costs. License fees from hunting, fishing or trapping will be used for wolf management only if the species is open for public harvest. Full reimbursement should be made to owners who have lost pets or livestock to wolves; normal costs are estimated at $20,000 to $40,000 per year when wolves have reached management goals. The cost of removing depredating wolves and either translocating them to suitable habitat or euthanizing them is estimated at $15,000 to $30,000 per year. Therefore the total cost of wolf management activities is estimated at from $165,000 to $200,000 per year.
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Deer and elk will survive with wolves around, just as they survive with mountain lions and bears like there are now.
Are you really sure about that?

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/13/03 05:30 AM

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/13/03 05:36 AM

and another, wonder how much those boys are getting paid to shoot and who is paying
-----------------------------------------------
Wolves attack woman's llamas again, this time killing one

The Associated Press
4/3/02 1:09 AM

FRENCHTOWN (AP) -- Federal officials on Tuesday verified a llama owned by Geri Ball of the Ninemile Valley was killed during the early morning by a wolf.

It was the second wolf attack at Ball's residence in recent weeks. The first time the llama survived but remains under care and is not doing well, she said.

Ball said she saw the wolf's green eyes in the darkness as she checked her llamas and it took a step toward her before she retreated to the house.

The wolf remained on the dead animal. "It didn't even run when my husband went back out there," she said. "We had to pound on metal to get it to move at all."

The couple's female llamas were in the barn, both because a wolf had attacked another llama 10 days earlier and because it is breeding season.

Three males were in the lower pasture. When the wolf approached, Catalyst ran across the field to investigate and was attacked.

"You can see where Catalyst went down to the cattails, then the wolf's tracks on a run through the mud and onto the ice, and then big gobs of hair in the field," Geri Ball said.

"It's so sad," she said. Catalyst used to pull a little cart, she said, and won ribbons at county fairs in Missoula, Kalispell and Medford, Ore. "He's been a pack llama, too."

Ball's was the fourth llama killed in the Ninemile Valley this year and the fifth attacked.

Last week, federal officials shot and killed two adult males from the Ninemile wolf pack, hoping they were the ones responsible for the attacks. On Tuesday, they made plans to kill two or more of the remaining pack members.

"It could be that we got one right and one wrong, or two wrong, or that other wolves were involved as well," said Ed Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Helena.

"It's typical wolf stuff," Bangs said. "They avoid anything strange. But once they figure something out, once the behavior is ingrained, it's tough to get them out of there. We have had to kill whole packs before. I hate to see that happen, but part of the deal was we wouldn't let wolves prey on livestock."

Bangs said damage control officers will try to catch a wolf or wolves feeding on the llama carcass. "That's the way to do it, to be sure you've got the right animals," he said. "We'll probably end up shooting a couple more wolves."

"I don't really know what's going on with these llama kills," he said. "We've had wolves in the Ninemile for 12 years and we never had a problem with llamas until last year."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/13/03 07:42 PM

Would these be hatchery raised wolves....or nates? How would you know the difference....clipped dew claws? beer
Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/14/03 03:51 PM

i dont believe we should be throwing lead all around the pacific northwest towards the wolves, but it seems after man eradicates a predator there is allways a huge problem with population rebounding of deer ,elk, and now we got issues with cougars, now it will be the wolves, we dont know how to manage what we allready have, why introduce another predator, jus so we can have issues with it in 5-10 years.. jus look at the sea lions, to many of them, cuz there protected, we need to manage them as well, why not introduce more orca's? when is it gonna stop?

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/14/03 07:02 PM

I sure would like to hear what the Arkliar has to say about the posted facts and articles I presented.

Have you decided to tuck your tail like Bri24 and HPB?? Those boys make me laugh!
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 12:26 AM

How bout a lottery tag system like they have for moose, goat, and sheep? that would certainly take care of the problem of herd population control.

Not trying to start anything, please dont throw a stupid, snide remark back my way.

I think that when it is figured out, then it should be done. Until then it most definitely should not.

Curtis

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 01:13 AM

Curtis, trust me I will only deliver stupid snide remarks to those deserving, anybody that is truely asking a question gets my honest opinion or sound facts.
My replies are to the point and usually lack any of the warm PC responses so many seem to like around here. I admit, sometimes they can be somewhat sarcastic wink But these two wolf threads were done to hopefully show some examples that by doing these warm and fuzzy, knee jerk decisions, we are so accustomed to in this state, we end up paying for it in the long run.
Not many people on the liberal left side seem to think things though, especially when it comes to scientific wildlife managment (or lack there of).
I asked one simple question (funding) I gave some "guestamint" costs and some hard costs, what did we get nothing! well we did one remark, we got a statement that said, it should come from donations and private funding and a statement stating that we shouldn't have to do anything with them once released.
Those DA remarks are exactly what I am trying to point out.
Somewhere, somehow the bleeding heart, feel good, PC crap that we the sportsmen end up having to pay for, needs to stop!

Now to answer your question, I am assuming that you are talkiing about having a drawing for hunting a wolf? and the proceeds would go towards managment?
Good idea!

Here is my opinion, nothing to back it up factually though.
I believe there would not be much interest in hunting the wolf thus in turn not generating much money for wolf managment.

Lets say they introduce 20 and allow 3 of them a year to be hunted.
Going off the Wisc. #'s the tag prices or money generated from the lottery would have to equal approx. 65,000 a tag. I just really do not see that happening.

For those that have followed these threads (GMU 346, Wolf Question and this thread) I hope it has opened some eyes and shows that we should get very active in the politics of wildlife management in our state..

Now back to my homework my grades are sucking! laugh

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 01:34 AM

8,623 moose lottery tags submitted in 2001 (Can't find 2002 records). Lets say that was the wolf, and we run each submission at $8 or so. Theres the what, 65k you said?

that work?

Curtis

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 01:44 AM

That would work for the 1/3 of the funding. We would need those to be at least 24 dollars each to reach the money that Wisc. is paying out, or get another 16,000 more to join in the permit.
I also stated that I really do not think there would be very many folks interested in shooting a re-introduced wolf. Once again that is my opinion.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by driftboater:
I sure would like to hear what the Arkliar has to say about the posted facts and articles I presented.

Have you decided to tuck your tail like Bri24 and HPB?? Those boys make me laugh!
Uhh, unlike SOME people apparently, I don't *live* on this board. I also don't hunt (I fish), so I don't pay attention to this board unless I see the thread pop up as the most recent post on the title page.

As for my answers, I have nothing against shooting animals that are causing problems. Not all animals become problem animals, though. Would I agree to killing wolves that are running around Olympic National Park minding their own business? No. As stated in your article, Idaho has a population of 300 wolves, and they've had problems with a few individuals, and Oregon cattlemen are already pissing their pants even though they haven't confirmed a single wolf living in the state. Guess you'd be for killing all the bears, since they sometimes prey on livestock, and they've been known to kill people too. As for the figures given, $160K to $200K is a drop in the bucket, provided that it even costs nearly that much. Montana is a much more rural state, and more people live out in the boonies there.

As for funding, I agree that it should not rest only sportsmen/women. IMHO, the state could find some creative ways to fund control projects, such as vanity license plates, memorobelia, lotteries, ect. They certianly justified those two huge boondoggles sitting right next to each other in downtown Seattle, and even at the most expensive figures, you could manage wolves for 5000 years for what we paid for those things.
Posted by: stilly bum

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arklier:
Yes. So? That's why they all calve at about the same time, and I know that deer fawns have no scent to make them harder to find. Deer and elk have evolved strategies for foiling predators, just as predators have evolved strategies to catch them. Deer and elk will survive with wolves around, just as they survive with mountain lions and bears like there are now.

And just for the record, I'm against the hound ban. I'm all for using hounds to take lions. But then again, the ones that cause problems are mostly in residential areas where you could never hunt them anyway.
You said that wolves don't prey on trophy animals. They do. They prey on them when they are young, before they show their potential. I'm not arguing for trophy management, just debating your point.
The cougars that are causing problems in residential areas are a result of the cougar population boom (and the human population boom). In many cases they've been pushed out of another cat's territory.
Posted by: glowball

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 09:28 AM

Just as a little piece of "fyi". I live in Mineral which is a small town in western washington. About 8 years ago my chocolate lab got into a fight with a cougar 25 yards from my back door. Believe it or not the dog won. We called the game department to take care of the problem cat and they did nothing. They showed up late the next day and said "oh its too late to track it." Having that happen opened my eyes and made me wonder how many other folks in washington have had the same problem and will have that problem with wolves. I for one will shoot either one of the above on sight.
My cougar sightings have gone up drastically since the hound band, and those that don't think they'll ever see one or see the wolves when they get introduced are wrong. I saw a big cat 1/2 down the main road from my house yesterday.
Not real happy about it considering I have a 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son that like to play outside.
More go@@am flatlanders making big wig decisions up in seattle messing up my life. There is my justification for shooting on sight. Like it or not I don't care. If I get caught I'll pay the consequenses. If I get caught.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/15/03 11:17 AM

Quote:
As for the figures given, $160K to $200K is a drop in the bucket, provided that it even costs nearly that much
a few posts back you stated that there would be no costs for annual maintinance. That excerpt was just showing you tha tthere are costs. Washingtons situation may or may not be different, but there will for sure be costs associated with it.

Quote:
As for funding, I agree that it should not rest only sportsmen/women. IMHO, the state could find some creative ways to fund control projects, such as vanity license plates, memorobelia, lotteries, ect.
Jeeze Louise,, why didnt you just come out and state your funding plan a long time ago, would saved us alot of time, oh but, you didnt think any funding was necessary... Dah!

Quote:
They certianly justified those two huge boondoggles sitting right next to each other in downtown Seattle, and even at the most expensive figures, you could manage wolves for 5000 years for what we paid for those things.
lets keep it apples to apples OK. I have already been down this road. You want to debate stadiums and their economic values feel free to do so. I will chime in on your thread about that. We already set Magia Fimia straight a few years back. We could do it again if you so desire, but not on this format.

Hey, how long ago did you move here and was it California that you left?
Posted by: Hairy Ape

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/16/03 12:54 AM

glowballs,
I don't think the state would have a problem with you killing a cougar that was in your backyard. Besides, isn't the season about 6 months long? There's a good chance they'd be in season anyway, and you could just put your tag on it. Kill all of 'em I say. And I don't mean I want all cats killed, I just mean kill the ones you see. Sure won't hurt the cat population any, now that you can't hunt them with hounds.

Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed! - 04/16/03 01:22 AM

Hey Glowball, lets stay in touch. Next cougar season we should go cleaning up around your neighborhood.

Curtis