Band-Tailed pigeons?

Posted by: fish monger

Band-Tailed pigeons? - 09/11/03 11:32 AM

I got one of the Band-Tailed pigeon cards for this year and would love to find some local hunting areas. I know of a few healthy concentrations several hours from here, but would prefer looking for something within an hours drive of Seattle. Not looking for any secret spots, just pointed in the right direction. Been an aweful long time since I've hunted them and the area I used to go has since been developed. Would appreciate any help.
Posted by: mawdet

Re: Band-Tailed pigeons? - 09/13/03 01:24 AM

Monger, I saw some (I think...pretty sure)yesterday up around Stampede Pass. Also saw a group up above Easton the same day. Never hunted them before, but had to think about why pidgeons were up that high.

Good luck.
Posted by: Hairy Ape

Re: Band-Tailed pigeons? - 09/13/03 10:06 AM

Bandtails go wherever there are ripe berries. If they were at the higher elevations, that must be where the berries are. One of their favorites is elderberrries. Find some ripe elderberries and you'll most likelyl find pigeons.
Posted by: TRAUT

Re: Band-Tailed pigeons? - 09/13/03 04:39 PM

Saw several flocks up above Lake Kachess earlier this week. Also several blue grouse and a couple bears.
Posted by: fish monger

Re: Band-Tailed pigeons? - 09/15/03 12:56 PM

Thanks all for the help. Might be able to sneak out sometime this week and will be sure to post a report. Of course if anybody else has some other locations to check out.....