Cow elk permit. (Umtanum unit)

Posted by: sockeye

Cow elk permit. (Umtanum unit) - 09/17/03 08:54 PM

I was picked for a modern umtanum cow elk tag. I have only hunted this unit in the north west corner right on the boundry. Would like to get a bit farther away from the boundry so I don't loose a wounded animal across the road. Any ideas on where to go or not to go? Any info you could give would be great!! Thanks!
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Cow elk permit. (Umtanum unit) - 09/17/03 10:39 PM

Fisher Dan hunts that area a lot, and one of his boys drew the same tag. Maybe he will reply.
Posted by: logger

Re: Cow elk permit. (Umtanum unit) - 09/17/03 11:45 PM

go in at mud lake off 410 lots of elk cross the highway from bethel right there all the way up to the radio tower .
Posted by: Loomis

Re: Cow elk permit. (Umtanum unit) - 09/19/03 10:28 PM

just get off the roads,so many times people have stopped and asked my partner and I where we got are elk,as we are packing them out.they are there for the taking u just have to get away from the traffic.Generaly speaking by the time the cow permits open up the elk have become a little more weary.day break and dusk are always best.even if u dont know the area find a dead end and get back into the woods a mile or so.stay off the jeep trails in that unit to many atv and trucks find a small clearing and be patient.Good luck
Posted by: Huntar

Re: Cow elk permit. (Umtanum unit) - 10/03/03 08:54 PM

Double check your regs... the boundaries are different this year in many of the areas around central WA.