Western Washington Pheasant

Posted by: Das Freshmacher

Western Washington Pheasant - 09/26/03 12:48 PM

Well the season opens this weekend and I bought an odd permit so I can hunt this Saturday. Thinking of going for the 8-10 session on Stillwater before I do some "real" hunting for grouse.

Any feedback on how this hunting is? I assume it is a zoo and wondering if it's worth it at all.

DF
Posted by: CWUgirl

Re: Western Washington Pheasant - 09/26/03 02:43 PM

I've only "hunted" the western release sites once and that was about 8 years ago but back then Stillwater was a zoo. Not just that but it was fairly dangerous with most people showing no regard to the fact they were carrying a firearm. The worst display of poor sportsmanship came when 5 (yes, 5) "hunters" shot the same bird and then preceeded to argue about the bird that probably wouldn't be worth cleaning after being peppered so badly. I can only imagine that on the opener it will be packed with people.

Stick with real hunting. Wild birds provide a challenge. All released birds provide is ammo for animal rights activists and a fair amount of simulated hunting for dog training.
Posted by: Das Freshmacher

Re: Western Washington Pheasant - 09/28/03 09:38 PM

Thanks for the insight. We actually assumed it would be as you described and passed to hunt Grouse in the high country of the Norse Peak Wilderness.

Had a fantastic day with two birds harvested in the end.

Looks like I wasted my money on the Western WA permit. Oh well...

DF