Archery Elk

Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Archery Elk - 10/14/03 08:14 PM

I've been scouting this herd for the last 6 months or so, been out checking for them once every couple weeks, and I'm thinking I might go try for a shot at them with my bow... Theres one bull in particular of course laugh

Now what I'm wondering is... How big is an elks heart? I've never archery hunted, never even hunted for elk. Just right behind the shoulder like a deer?

Will a 50 lb bow work? What kind of arrows/broadheads are you guys particular to?

Thanks for any info!

I'm looking around at other sites and they are pointing me in the general direction, but not quite the info needed....

Thank ya much!
Curtis
Posted by: Huntar

Re: Archery Elk - 10/14/03 08:25 PM

Shot placement is the biggest key. Optimally, hold out for a broadside shot and double-lung him.
Personnally, I will only shoot four-blade broadheads (I lost an elk with a two-bladed broadhead that was a perfect broadside hit).
Also, if your bow will allow you to turn up the poundage above 50 , and you can still shoot it O.K. , do it.
Above all practice judging the distances. If you are wrong by only a little the result is a bad hit or a miss.
Generally, a heavier arrow will penetrate better, but if you get the broadside shot you should be fine, just get those four blades cutting through BOTH lungs, or you will be tracking a very long time.
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: Archery Elk - 10/14/03 10:25 PM

So a heart shot wont do? I think I may use my compound instead of my recurve for elk then... untill I can get a bigger recurve of course.

thanks for the info!

Curtis
Posted by: bowhunter

Re: Archery Elk - 10/18/03 01:24 AM

Shot placement is everything, dont shoot too close in on the shoulder, aim mid pump house and shoot the lower 2/3 of the rib cage (pump house).... they bleed alot better lower than higher...unfortunately I found out the hard way on a bull in the early season.
Posted by: griz59

Re: Archery Elk - 10/22/03 06:31 PM

less poundage is more forgiving than higher poundages. make sure your broadhead is sharp.my personal pref is a three blade 125 thunderhead. shoot about midship behind the shoulders. wackem and stackem.
Posted by: w. coyote

Re: Archery Elk - 10/27/03 05:15 PM

Try a 125gr steel force. Awsome broad head and they will resharpen them for you. Most important thing to remember is shoot as close as possible and if you don't feel 100% confident with your shot don't take it. A heart shot will work.