How has this years grouse season been for you

Posted by: Chrome454

How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/15/03 05:51 PM

Hello fellas-
just wondering how you all have done for grous this year. So far I have dumped 5 and am headed over stevens pass next week to chase more. Them forest chickens are mighty tasty! laugh
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/17/03 01:27 AM

i doubt this is really "hunting" but I carried a Ruger .22 pistol while deer hunting and bagged two grouse towards the end of the day near our camp...

We were camped at Coleman pass, we mostly hunted Schnoobly.

Curtis
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/17/03 02:43 AM

The only grouse I saw (and got) was when I was ML hunting for deer. About 7 yards, head and neck shot. Didn't even need to cleen the bird. 425 grain bullet did it for me.
Posted by: TRAUT

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/17/03 07:37 PM

Nice goin', Andy. Glad to see you used enough gun to get that grouse!!

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/18/03 01:15 AM

I was there to see the aftermath of Paul's attempt on a grouse with the .454 Casull. At least all of the edible parts of my bird were still edible. wink
Posted by: Das Freshmacher

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/19/03 03:15 PM

I've bagged 3 so far. Numbers look good this year so hope to get out at least a few more times.

To me Grouse are trophy birds and tough to get. I have no problem with those of you who have bagged them with rifles and that should be considered hunting.

I have, on occasion, shot them out if trees after long pursuits and numerous flushes. It is all part of the challenge.

DF
Posted by: FishinCuzChicksDigIt

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/19/03 11:54 PM

I think every deer hunting trip I've been on this year we've at least seen one grouse. Today my friend decided to leave the shotgun at home and we saw 9 ruffs (in the vail tree farm, skookumchuck unit). So far this year I think we've got 4 ruffs and 3 blues between 2 of us. They are mighty tasty!
Posted by: Jason

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/23/03 06:56 PM

Hunting grouse with a rimfire rifle sounds like a lot of fun to me. I've never bird hunted with a rifle, and I've got a nice, accurate CZ rimfire that would do the job. Anyone want to go some time?

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/23/03 11:44 PM

Grouse with a rimfire is great fun, especially if you limit yourself to headshots only. The nice thing is that of you miss, you miss cleanly.
Posted by: w. coyote

Re: How has this years grouse season been for you - 10/27/03 05:08 PM

Found some awsome grouse in both Plane and up on the Whitechuck. Seems to be a better year for these wonderfull tasting birds. More blues in Plane. I'm up to around a dozen this year.