Stoopid Turkey

Posted by: Dogfish

Stoopid Turkey - 03/17/04 11:55 PM

I went out with a client today, yeah, a client, that's the ticket, to go talk business and shoot some informal 5-stand and skeet. Charlie was about 4 shots into a station, when I noticed he had a friend right behind him.

Charlie held out his ear plug and got the hen pretty close, but she soon got bored, and decided to see if the empty hulls tasted good.

We chased her off before we started shooting again, but for those of you who think turkeys are smart, think again.
Posted by: Fish Hawg

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 03/18/04 12:20 PM

beer

We had three doe's walk across the 300 yard range on day. eek .....Ross
Posted by: CWUgirl

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 03/18/04 02:36 PM

That's amazing! That turkey had to have been raised by humans, there's no way a wild turkey would be that insanely bold. Well, there is a reason they are "prey!"

At the Renton shooting range I've seen deer foraging just outside of the trap/skeet ranges. The trap boys walked out and attempted to scare them off.... they barely moved!
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 03/18/04 09:29 PM

That's pretty impressive... I have always wondered about your high rate of success...

A friend of mine is an army ranger. He told me once about how a bear actually walked down the line. They waited fifteen minutes to let it pass through.

Curtis
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 03/18/04 11:27 PM

There is a flock of turkeys that chased this hen out of the flock, all wild, by the way. This hen has taken to the members of the gun club. Kind of odd though as I saw her walk up to withing a few feet from Charlie AS HE WAS SHOOTING.

I have seen the deer walk out onto the Plantation rifle range in Whatcom county, more than once.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Posted by: Fisherdan

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 03/19/04 10:23 PM

Way too funny, dogfish.

I think I secured private land for the youth turkey hunt for my boys next month.... smile

Talk to you soon,
Posted by: On The Hook

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 03/25/04 10:14 PM

When I was in basic at Ft Benning GA we had a little spike run back and forth across the range for about and hour. He sure tasted good the next day. laugh evil
Posted by: starcraft tom

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 03/26/04 03:23 PM

I lost the coin toss and had to "chased" a gator off the pistol range at stone bay when i was in the corps. it never moved , just snapped at me. had to call the ranger to come get it.
Posted by: snit

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 04/03/04 12:23 PM

Dogfish, is that Evergreen Gun Club? It sure looks familar, as I used to shoot alot of trap there.

As we speak, I've got a BIG Tom in the pasture trying to romance the horses. He's been here 3 years, and I just don't have the need to shoot him, as he's as dumb as they come...except he must be able to out-fox the coyotes. He generally shows up in February and leaves in May. But he sure like to gobble!

We used to shoot trap at the Leavenworth Gun Club, and there was a bunch of "yard bucks" that would feed on the spring grass where the targets landed. If you waited for them to leave, you'd never get to shoot, so we just started shooting and finally one would get "stung" and then they'd move off to the fringe areas. They were really brazen though.
Posted by: snit

Re: Stoopid Turkey - 04/03/04 12:24 PM

Dogfish, is that Evergreen Gun Club? It sure looks familar, as I used to shoot alot of trap there.

As we speak, I've got a BIG Tom in the pasture trying to romance the horses. He's been here 3 years, and I just don't have the need to shoot him, as he's as dumb as they come...except he must be able to out-fox the coyotes. He generally shows up in February and leaves in May. But he sure like to gobble!

We used to shoot trap at the Leavenworth Gun Club, and there was a bunch of "yard bucks" that would feed on the spring grass where the targets landed. If you waited for them to leave, you'd never get to shoot, so we just started shooting and finally one would get "stung" and then they'd move off to the fringe areas. They were really brazen though.