Partial albino

Posted by: glowball

Partial albino - 06/27/04 09:17 AM

I was working at one of the other landfill sites on Friday (Purdy) and there was a deer that walked through that looked like an antelope. No it wasn't hairslip. I left the camera home so the wife could take pics of the steelhead trip and put em on the computer.

Anyways it was pretty neat looking.

Kris
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: Partial albino - 06/27/04 05:52 PM

A friend of mine I use to work with sees one down by Raymond about every year. Her and her husband have seen two or three a season I guess down there. Must be some gene mutations in the herd that are causing the partial albino. I have only seen one on TV and it was pretty sharp looking. I would like to get a doe with antlers still on it. I shot one last year that had just dropped hers. That is the strangest thing I have ever seen.
Posted by: HntnFsh

Re: Partial albino - 06/28/04 01:13 PM

I've seen a 1/2 dozen or so around this area over the years.I've watched 1 for the last couple.It was a spike when I first saw it.Last year it looked like a tall spike but had real small forks on top.Curious to see what it has this year.
speaking of does with horns.A guy I know shot a cow elk several years ago.It had spikes.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Partial albino - 06/29/04 01:21 AM

They are called "Piebald" animals.

There are quite a few in the Bremerton City watershed. No hunting there, so they have a better chance to spread the gene.
Posted by: stlhd_dreaming

Re: Partial albino - 07/08/04 01:58 PM

When I was growing up in New York we used to go to the Catskill mountains and go to the Military Instillation up there and we would fish for browns we would see a albino deer up there. It was a big buck. If you were to see an albino hunting do you think that could kill it or would you let it stay I think the head would make an excellent wall mount
Posted by: TRAUT

Re: Partial albino - 07/09/04 12:49 AM

I'm not sure how it is now, but it used to be illegal to kill albino wildlife. Not sure why.
Posted by: Camofish

Re: Partial albino - 07/11/04 08:31 AM

Don't quote me on this ...but, I think it is illegal to kill an albino deer. I don't think the piebalds are true albinos so they are legal shooters. Anybody out there know fo' sho'? I know of an area that has a prolific herd of piebalds. They are pretty animals.

'Camo
Posted by: Hairy Ape

Re: Partial albino - 07/11/04 07:47 PM

There may be laws in some states (for unknown reasons) that protect albino wildlife, but there is nothing like that here in Washington, and as far as I know, there never has been.