Hunting rifle for my daughter?

Posted by: chromefish

Hunting rifle for my daughter? - 05/16/05 04:25 PM

I am looking for a left handed rifle for my 11 year old daughter. If anyone has one or knows of one that they might want to get rid of let me know
Posted by: Fisherdan

Re: Hunting rifle for my daughter? - 05/28/05 12:15 PM

Hey Chromefish,

Not exactly an answer to your request, but since I don't know of any lefty rifles available....

Have you considered the NEF Handi-Rifle?

It's single shot, built to last, relatively light, comes in a wide variety of calibers so you can get what you're after, and last I checked they were only about $200 new. They even come in youth size in some nice calibers if your daughter is smaller/younger.

I think they're a neat little rifle for the money.

Good luck.
Posted by: run_a_bait

Re: Hunting rifle for my daughter? - 06/03/05 12:27 PM

h&r make some nice single shot rifles to. break action lke a shot gun.
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: Hunting rifle for my daughter? - 06/12/05 04:44 PM

I second on the NEF. The first gun I used for duck hunting was a NEF .410, still my favorite gun to take into the field. Sweet little gun
Posted by: Monk

Re: Hunting rifle for my daughter? - 06/16/05 10:16 AM

If your going to buy a NEF...get a Thompson Center Encore (or contender G2) instead. Not only is it a single shot, break action, which means easy to use, and VERY safe, but you can later on buy additional barrels in several calibers. So, say she starts off shooting a .223 for coyote, or just "plinking" and getting use to shooting something with a little more bang than a .22, but 5 years from now she wants to elk hunt. Get a bigger caliber barrel, and what do you know, you have the exact same action, trigger pull, stock length...etc since its the same gun. I own one, and it will be the last "gun" (action) I will ever buy. It's real cheap for me to "upgrade" since barrels are allot cheaper (especially used ones on e-bay) than buying a whole new gun. Plus they make a stainless steel model, easy to clean, no rust problems, and is a great gun for someone starting out.

Monk