Skoockumchuck

Posted by: BMF

Skoockumchuck - 08/13/05 11:49 PM

Can anybody tell me if the Skookumchuck unit holds any good elk hunting? I know the Vail Tree farm has good blacktail hunting. I am lookig for elk on the westside with Muzzleloader during the early season. Never shot one, but have hunted hard. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Posted by: Musicman

Re: Skoockumchuck - 08/16/05 12:14 AM

Don't know about good elk hunting, see a few animals but then I don't hunt there much. Mostly word of mouth and what I see traveling back and forth fishing. Good luck, lotsa private land and Weyerhauser of course.
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: Skoockumchuck - 08/26/05 01:56 PM

I have hunted this unit several times. There is a big herd of elk near the coal mine. Follow 507 towards Chehalis. Turn left at the steam plant sign. That is if you are not sure where it is. Only problem is most of the elk hang out on the Transalta land and it is permit only access. I have yet to find out how to get a permit. There is a small walk in area next to the mine that Weyerhauser owns, but is closed most of the time due to logging. The other area I have seen elk is on the pheasant release site off Johnson creek road. The herd is very transient though. The very southern border has elk also I have been told, never hunted it though. Lots of private land around this unit. Good luck