uncommon rifle ammo - where to find?

Posted by: Fisherdan

uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/25/06 10:29 PM

A buddy just inherited a Mannlicher chambered in 6.5 X 53R. He's not much of a hunter/shooter, but wants ammo for the rifle since it was his dad's custom made rifle and now it's passed down.

Any ideas on where to find 6.5 X 53R ammo?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Posted by: Big Stick1

Re: uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/25/06 10:52 PM

Grayback Wildcats,or Old Western Scrounger.......................
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/25/06 11:49 PM

Try Cheaper than dirt and Sportsman guide also. They sometimes get old military rounds. The easiest way might be a google search of 6.5X53R ammo sale. That should bring up several sites.
Posted by: Ichtyoid

Re: uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/26/06 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Try Cheaper than dirt and Sportsman guide also. They sometimes get old military rounds. The easiest way might be a google search of 6.5X53R ammo sale. That should bring up several sites.
What he said.

Re: uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/27/06 11:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, gents. I tried them all and found every concievable round EXCEPT 65. X 53R.

If anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'd really like to get some of this ammo for my buddy.

Much thanks,

Dan
Posted by: Ichtyoid

Re: uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/28/06 12:51 AM

Since the Mannlicher 6.5x53.5R is sometimes called the 6.5x54R, I I found some:

http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/89

Its also known as .276 Mannlicher.
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/28/06 11:16 PM

FOUND IT! Here is the link.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/search.htm?step=2&viewfrom=1&numresults=10&searchterm=6.5x53r
Not cheap. Or you can have it reloaded. Be careful with the 6.3X53.5 or 6.5X54. These are not the actual ammo and some older Dutch guns have more headspace and can fire these rounds. The best thing to do is have the headspace and chamber checked to make sure it has not been "tweaked". I found several instances of 6.5 Dutch being rechambered for other rounds. Including a .45-70! eek

Re: uncommon rifle ammo - where to find? - 09/30/06 12:40 AM

Thanks gnets. This is exactly what I was looking for.

My buddy will be excited to get this info.

Best regards.