Late ML eastern elk area questions?

Posted by: Never Enough Nookie

Late ML eastern elk area questions? - 10/20/06 10:32 PM

Well after one of the worst trips durring the early season in the bumping unit....
Sick hunting party after day two, all due to the "new" guy we brought in forgetting to tell us his whole family was sick the few days before the season.......
And a wasted cow tag that I think with a few more days I could have filled.....I am looking for info on the late hunts on the east side, particulary GMU's 373,379, and 381. Or any of the others in that season the 28th to the 15th of Nov, that are open? I guess I am curious where to go look for animals? Is this alot of private area? Certainly seems like alot of it would be very open right?
Thanks for any help, I really thought this was going to be the year for my first elk....if only not for those kids..... beathead
Posted by: jackelope

Re: Late ML eastern elk area questions? - 10/21/06 01:38 PM

i don't know anything about those units, but here's my advice and from what i've heard. the units that are open late are open for elk "control" for lack of a better word. the areas are managed for something else in other words and wdfw doesn't want the elk there. my buddy was interested in the late archery deer hunt in the swakane and there are areas open over there for any elk or any bull or something like that. he called the biologist for the region to inquire about the deer. the guy talked his ear off and gave him all kinds of info. call the biologist for that region. what he did was call the wdfw region office and they gave him the number for the biologist for that region. it's worth a shot and the bio he talked to was very helpful.
let me know what you find out.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Late ML eastern elk area questions? - 10/22/06 12:55 AM

Do you have your AHE card?
Posted by: Never Enough Nookie

Re: Late ML eastern elk area questions? - 10/23/06 11:34 AM

No did not get it all together this year Andy, Got the range test done and passed, just had to many other headaches get in the way to get the rest done. Will try for next year......

Thanks Josh, I will certainly try that route for info, your right though, they can be a wealth of info. My dad just got back from Foster Creek unit with two does primarily because the bio in that area gave them some leads to follow.

Thanks again.