Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty

Posted by: Steve Marsh

Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/07/07 02:13 PM

Looking for a meat cutter who can cut/wrap a deer. Prefer one located in King or Snohomish county.
Posted by: landcruiserwilly

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/07/07 03:53 PM

kelso's in snohomish might take it. i think they're on ave D or something

willy
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/07/07 06:54 PM

I've used Kelso's the last two years and was happy with their work and pricing.
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/08/07 02:26 AM

I used Kelsos one year and wasnt very satisfied. I like Marzholfs in Snohomish better
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/08/07 11:15 PM

Marzholfs.

RVW

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/09/07 02:21 AM

Can you guys tell what's better about Marzholfs? I haven't used them. Crap I drive from Seattle to go to Kelsos so if I'm going all that way and there's something better...
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/09/07 02:21 PM

I've used Fischer Meats in Issaquah in the past and liked the results.

(425) 392-3131

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/09/07 02:49 PM

Little Fish- Kelso's is about half the cost of Fischer that's why I made the drive (and a rec). I had Fischer do a couple of caribou and they did do a great job (great sausage too).

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/09/07 04:28 PM

Thanks for the tip Seastrike. I will have to check out Kelso's. Did you have any pep or sausage made? If so how was it?
Posted by: Ikissmykiss

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/09/07 06:09 PM

I grew up with both Kelsos and Marzolfs and have used them both for domestic animals as well as wild game....Kelsos.

Ike

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/09/07 07:53 PM

I had them do some jerky,summer sausage and pep as well as traditional cuts. I loved the pep and summer sausage...not so much the jerky (too dry).
I brought them very clean product and that's what I got back.

I used to cut my own. Now with going for two weeks I get hammered when I get back and can't spend the extra two days cutting up an elk and a deer.

Dang I love this time of year. I leave for ID on Thursday at daybreak!

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/10/07 06:42 PM

Thanks for the info.

Have fun/good luck on your Idaho trip Seastrike. I just a call from a buddy who is contemplating moving to Boise so I may soon have a local connection to hunt with over there.
Posted by: Sullie

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/10/07 11:19 PM

seastrike....how much does something like that cost? or to have a deer and/or elk cut up into steaks and sausage.

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/11/07 12:38 AM

I can't remember the bill right now but Fischer is over a buck a pound and Kelsos was .45 or so. It's done on hanging weight brought in (hide off quarters or halves with an elk or a whole deer).
Regular cuts (steaks,roasts,burger) included in that fee. You pay extra for sausage etc.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/11/07 01:06 AM

Free, except for supplies.

Hang it, bone it out into major muscle groups, chill it overnight in the beer fridge (in warm weather above 50 degrees), then cut it up into steaks. Cooler weather allows you to hang it longer.

Figure an hour boning out, an hour cutting up the steaks, and another hour wrapping. Get the gallon size Western Family food and bread bags (75 per box), as they are much easier to use than saran wrap, and they save a buttload of time.

All you need is a knife, I usually buy a Rapala 6" filet knife new for each deer or elk, a good workspace the size of a kitchen table, a cutting board, steel, bread bags, paper towels, freezer paper, and some tape. The first time it takes a bit, but you'll speed up.

I take my scrap meat, anything not bloodshot, and turn in for sausage. Usually about $2.00 a pound for that.

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/11/07 04:13 PM

....to add to what Dogfish said, there are several pretty good books out there that show how to bone out a deer or elk and what the primary cuts of meat are etc.
Posted by: spin05

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/23/07 02:27 AM

I used LINDS MEATS for years when i lived in Kent. Mike is good guy just dont bring him a dirty carcass or hell chew your butt.One thig i like about LINDS is that they bring your deer out right in front of you when it comes time to butcher it up.So you know your getting your deer for sure.......
Posted by: salty

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/23/07 04:07 PM

I just got a moose back from Golden Steer off Bel-Red Road and 148th in the Bellevue/Redmond area. First time going there. I took in 200 lbs. (2 1/2 quarters), and got 25 lbs. of sausage/jerky and the rest put into steaks/ground/roasts. Total bill was $190. So far, I've had the summer sausage, pepperoni, jerky and ground, and all has been fantastic. Turnaround time was 8 days.

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/24/07 12:22 PM

Hey Brent tell the moose story!
Posted by: salty

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/24/07 05:40 PM

Unfortunately it wasn't mine...snaked by my damn cousin again! I've got a few good pics to post, but can't remember how...anyone willing to do it if I email them? Then I can add the story to the thread.

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/24/07 07:23 PM

I think I can do it.
davelane208@comcast.net
Posted by: Bigchump

Re: Looking for a meat cutter - King or Snohomish cnty - 10/25/07 11:19 PM

I do all my own cutting and wrapping , saves money and vacume packed meat lasts longer in the fridge. Super easy to do. I just could not stand all the bones in my meat.

Later.......