Black Lake Duck hunting

Posted by: VHawk.

Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/26/07 12:36 PM

It's only been about 6 or 7 years since I've actually hunted ducks, but the constant early morning shooting behind the house has pushed me over the edge; I'm feeling the need to saute some mallard breasts.

Any available spots in the blind? I CAN sit still, but I don't retrieve well. I shoot a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge. I'd need to pick up some boxes of ammo and kill some clays, otherwise I'm good to go.

VHawk
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/26/07 01:22 PM

vince- you could probably just head down there and throw out some decoys... most of the shooting coming from the south end? by the river mouth?
I dont know when i will get out next with my new work schedule but if you want to just have some duck meat i would be happy to donate a few to the cause.
Posted by: fish-onNW

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/26/07 01:40 PM

You know when I was building houses down there (kirsop village, and black lake).. I always woundered if you could hunt it... Bc the boat launch on the east side was always packed w/ducks and geese... Probally not much room for a couple groups thou...

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/26/07 02:11 PM

Thanks D3. Shooting ducks was always more fun with a couple other people around. I've got a private dock about 100 yards behind the house. Could easily sit a blind on it and toss out some decoys.

I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of decoys. I guess I shouldn't be such a cheapskate. Not everyone can enjoy duck hunting right out there back yard. The guys must have shot limits within a couple hours this AM.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/26/07 02:24 PM

well if you want to give it a shot sometime i'll bring the decoys. I think i probably have more than enough ;\)
i dont know a damn thing about the areas down there, I have been researching the possibilities but havent found much... but if you know of places to go hunt, i have all the stuff we could possibly need.
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/27/07 06:38 PM

I drive from Elma to Oly every day. I never knew you could hunt on Black Lake?

Make sure I won't get arrested and I can come try it with you. I got lots of dekes, and all the other BS you need to shoot at ducks. We can try for a couple of hours and if it sucks, I'll go to work. I can do pretty much any weekday morning with a day or two advanced notice.

Do you have a boat to retrieve birds with?
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/27/07 09:40 PM

I'll tag along with Smartie, between us we'll need a semi ta haul the deks!

Really I'm game!!!!
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/27/07 09:44 PM

Boat hunt.
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/28/07 12:49 AM

I have a boat and long line dekes too. But I can't really take the boat to work, downtown parking isn't good enough.

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/29/07 04:43 PM

I'll go and see tomorrow where on the lake those guys are shooting. But they are out almost every morning at dawn, and shoot for at least an hour or more. Sounds like they are near my docks. There is about 200 yards of wetlands between my house and the lake on the East end of the lake where I live. I wouldn't shoot on the West or South ends of the lake because the houses are right up to the shoreline.

Lots of ducks based on the constant firing...bang bang bang....bang bang bang.
Posted by: Irie

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/29/07 05:31 PM

If ever you guys want to shoot clays I have a thrower and a few cases of clays and I have some good secluded spots up in the Capitol Forest I know of that also occasionally have some live targets enter the area. ;\)

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 12/29/07 05:54 PM

Sweet, gimme a call. Maybe we can do it Thurs or Friday.
Posted by: Irie

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 01/01/08 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: VHawk
Sweet, gimme a call. Maybe we can do it Thurs or Friday.

Sounds good. Weather permitting.
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Black Lake Duck hunting - 01/01/08 08:29 PM

Decoys ???? Don't ya just throw out a loaf of bread or some Cheerios....LOL.