a question about big blacktails

Posted by: larryb

a question about big blacktails - 10/04/08 12:01 AM

could it be possible that some of the big bucks they are talking about in the other thread have some mule deer in their back ground. my father use to tell me about the state turning loose several mule deer bucks in what is now he capital forest out side of of mccleary. ever once in a while i still see deer there that seem to have mule deer type ears. makes me wonder if they did the same in other areas.
Posted by: cupo

Re: a question about big blacktails - 10/04/08 12:57 AM

Why do people have such a hard time believing that big blacktails exist?
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: a question about big blacktails - 10/04/08 11:16 AM

Blacktail are a subspecies of mule deer. They should look somewhat like them. Body size and antler size are heavily influenced by food and minerals.

The desert mulies I have seen are about the same size as WA blacktails.
Posted by: Sol

Re: a question about big blacktails - 10/04/08 12:09 PM

Larry: Blacktail and mule deer cross-breed where their range overlaps up and down the Cascade Range. When bloodline is questionable they are scored as mule deer.
Posted by: j 7

Re: a question about big blacktails - 10/04/08 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Blacktail are a subspecies of mule deer. They should look somewhat like them.

That is what I always have been told and read for years. There is actualy some controversy over it now though. Some are now saying it is the other way around and Mule deer are a subspecies of the Blacktail. There is some information and names on the blacktailcountry website regarding this switch. Pretty long read but real informative.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: a question about big blacktails - 10/04/08 03:47 PM

From a classification standpoint, blacktail are considered a subspecies of mule deer.

From a genetic standpoint, it may be that mule deer are the offspring of a blacktail/whitetial cross. The male was the blacktail, the mother whitetail. At least according to current science.
Posted by: On The Hook

Re: a question about big blacktails - 10/04/08 06:06 PM

What does it matter? If it is "HUGE" then be happy regardless of species. With todays rules and regs in this state be happy to see let alone get a good deer.
Posted by: cupo

Re: a question about big blacktails - 10/05/08 01:49 PM

From what I've seen, most people consider a buck to be a cross if it's bigger than the ones they've killed.