Upland opener

Posted by: D3Smartie

Upland opener - 10/05/08 09:52 PM

what an opener. Had a great time over east of the mountains with my girlfriend Sammie, and good buddy john. She got to spend some time with her family while John and I hunted hard for 2 days. We saw a fair number of birds and I shot well enough to limit both days which was great. my feet will eventually stop hurting, i hope.
My dog madison did well the first day including a couple great retrieves of birds that rolled well down into the canyons. And john;s new 11 month old GSP did well today, his first real day in the field. He pointed his first chukar and found 3 downed birds. Not bad for the little guy.
Had fun, got some birds and will do it again soon.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Upland opener - 10/05/08 11:11 PM

Congrats!

Re: Upland opener - 10/06/08 04:10 PM

Thanks Andy. I didnt stop to take many pictures, and none of the birds but here is a shot of John with his pup way down in the canyon. Unfortunately he didnt understand the meaning of "staying high" and seemed to think it was a race to the bottom of the draw. He'll learn though smile
Posted by: Castingpearls

Re: Upland opener - 10/06/08 05:45 PM

Cool shot.
Posted by: wsu

Re: Upland opener - 10/06/08 05:56 PM

How were the bird numbers?

Re: Upland opener - 10/06/08 11:09 PM

I need to trade you a trip for a trip. Want to fish the Nooch some time?

Re: Upland opener - 10/06/08 11:24 PM

you want to hunt chukars?

Re: Upland opener - 10/06/08 11:37 PM

Love to some time.
Posted by: castnblast

Re: Upland opener - 10/06/08 11:46 PM

Was thinking bout getting over there and looking for some chuckar in the next couple weeks. Did well on them last year and was wondering how well they came through the winter and cold spring. If you don't mind saying the general region your hunting and how the brood sizes look it would be much appreciated...thanks

Ryan

Re: Upland opener - 10/07/08 09:13 AM

lets go then. give me a call.

the brood sizes looked pretty small and there must have been a small late hatch as well. i shot one tiny bird.
North of vantage
Posted by: wsu

Re: Upland opener - 10/07/08 11:36 AM

Did you do any quail hunting or see how the hatch looked on those as well?

Re: Upland opener - 10/07/08 12:08 PM

seemed to be a very poor quail hatch where we were. usually there are a couple of big (50+ bird) coveys in the bottoms and we never ended up seeing a single quail.
Posted by: castnblast

Re: Upland opener - 10/07/08 11:02 PM

Thanks for the report. Sounds like it might be sub parr year for numbers. Kinda what I thought with the weather we had Dec-June.

Might have to get my fill back in MT this year. Last year I did great back there on sharpies,huns and pheasant.

I hear they are about the same to slightly down from last yr. and I've got an A tag in my back pocket this yr! Cant wait.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Upland opener - 10/08/08 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: D3Smartie
Thanks Andy. I didnt stop to take many pictures, and none of the birds but here is a shot of John with his pup way down in the canyon. Unfortunately he didnt understand the meaning of "staying high" and seemed to think it was a race to the bottom of the draw. He'll learn though smile

Wonder why my thighs are burning looking at that pic?!