Pics from MT trip

Posted by: castnblast

Pics from MT trip - 12/02/08 09:16 PM

Well I don't have time to tell all the stories that go along with the pictures but I thought I'd post a few with short descriptions.

I was very fortunate to get this beautiful whitetail buck. Just over 20" spread. He's going on the wall!

The bird numbers were down a bit in some areas but still found plenty, and a couple places I counted better than 50 roosters!

Beautiful sunrise!

My favorite picture of the trip! Sharptail, pheasant and huns

I had a GREAT time back there! Got some geese and a few ducks, shot some prairie dogs. Watched 3 coyotes chasing bout 60 head of antelope!

Mike and Dora , thank you so much!

CNB
Posted by: JoJo

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/02/08 09:31 PM

Very nice, looks like a great trip, That is a nice looking lab. I think I like watching the dogs work more than the hunting itself.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/02/08 09:59 PM

That last pic is awesome.

Framer.

thumbs
Posted by: washingtonmuley

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/02/08 10:29 PM

Congrats!!! That buck is a stud.
Posted by: JTD

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/02/08 10:46 PM

I am completely jealous. Nice buck!
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 12:26 AM

JTD, that last pic is epic......what a great trip thumbs
Posted by: sykofish

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 12:37 AM

Great pic's.

Dam nice deer also. Looking forward to tjhe story.
Posted by: summerrun

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 02:13 AM

Great buck and those dog pics are fantastic...cheers
Posted by: snit

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 10:09 AM

Looks like ya had a super time! Good for you! I can't wait to go back...got 3 preference points! Damn nice whitey!

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 12:26 PM

I've shown that pic to three people, and no one believes it is a photo! Incredible!
Posted by: GreenRiver

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: NOFISH
I've shown that pic to three people, and no one believes it is a photo! Incredible!

Do your people think it's a painting?

Yes, it's a cool pic. The first one with the lab immediately made me think I gotta get me one of them. He's laying there on that soft grass looking up with a smile and saying, "This is the life!"

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: GreenRiver
Do your people think it's a painting?

I think the hues on the dog's coat make it look painted......the low sun is helping the effect.....so what dog food is producing that beautiful coat?
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 01:38 PM

Really great pictures. That looks like so much fun. Dandy WT too, lots of mass, and nice tall points.
Posted by: halibutguy

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 02:07 PM

I love the last photo!

Castnblast, how far east did you go?
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 03:08 PM

Great photo of the dog and birds, only thing to improve that shot would be ---use a yellow one next time!
Posted by: gilly

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 04:05 PM

Wow great pics

Matt
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 05:42 PM

Yeah I'm with Stam. That last photo is the [censored].
Screw hanging the deer...hang that photo.
I on the other hand have a bit of a problem. I've got a five month old yellow.
I got him on three coveys of quail and three different pheasant this past weekend. The dog didn't bat an eye. He was oblivious. Buds and trainers have told me not to worry about it "he's young". I'm not so sure.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 07:01 PM

Dude,

You shot a crippled deer! (Just kidding)

Awesome pictures.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: seastrike
Yeah I'm with Stam. That last photo is the [censored].
Screw hanging the deer...hang that photo.
I on the other hand have a bit of a problem. I've got a five month old yellow.
I got him on three coveys of quail and three different pheasant this past weekend. The dog didn't bat an eye. He was oblivious. Buds and trainers have told me not to worry about it "he's young". I'm not so sure.

HE'S YOUNG
Posted by: Salmonella

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 08:28 PM

Great Stuff!
thumbs

Ain't digital great!

You had a great trip,thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

On a sad note seeing that dog pic kind of hurts as we are on a death watch with our long time pal of 13 years, any day.
I just hope he don't die on Thomas' birthday tomorrow.

Once again, great pics!
Thank you.

Sal

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 08:49 PM

Thanks for the props on the pictures guys! The last one is indeed destined for a frame. I also thought it looked like a painting, Spanky's pose and the lighting definately make the pic.

Sal, sorry to hear about your dog. I had to go through that a few years back with my last dog Jojo. Dogs can make great companions but they just don't live long enough. I have several pics of Jojo on my walls and many fond memories of hunting trips with him.

Hang in there.

CNB

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/03/08 09:13 PM

As for some of the other questions:

I feed Spanky Iams dry dog food (and he gets his share of leftovers)

I was hunting in the Great Falls area. Don't want to get too specific, the locals aren't too wild about out of staters coming to hunt in mass quantities. The people are really nice but I'll always be an outsider to most.

I am very fortunate to have made a friend.. Mike, back there over the last few years. I took him and his brother halibut fishing a few years back on Canadian side of swiftsure. They got a 90+ Lb. hali on that trip.

I have gone back the last 5 years weather I get drawn or not. I love being back there just seeing all the wildlife and doing some bird hunting.

I am going to try to get Mike on some tuna next year.

I guess I have to settle for some BM fishing and duck hunting for now.

CNB

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/04/08 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: castnblast
Spanky's pose

rofl
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/04/08 01:28 PM

killer picture cnb.

sorry to hear about your dog Sal. Happy birthday Thomas.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/05/08 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: castnblast
Thanks for the props on the pictures guys! The last one is indeed destined for a frame. I also thought it looked like a painting, Spanky's pose and the lighting definately make the pic.

Sal, sorry to hear about your dog. I had to go through that a few years back with my last dog Jojo. Dogs can make great companions but they just don't live long enough. I have several pics of Jojo on my walls and many fond memories of hunting trips with him.

Hang in there.

CNB

How old is Spanky and where did you get him? I'd swear he was a brother to my chocolate lab. If my dog wasn't at home I'd think you'd have stolen him because he's a spitten image with facial features and look in the pic...

Keith thumbs
Posted by: j 7

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/05/08 04:06 PM

Nice buck CnB. I hope to get one like that with a bow someday. Great looking dog and pics. How much does an out of state Montana smallgame and bird license cost?

Sal, sorry to hear about the condition of your family pet. I just got done with that scenario back in the spring. It sucks, I know.

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/05/08 04:32 PM

stlhdr1

Spanky came from a "mistake litter" and he is not papered. I picked him up near Belfair.

I know what your talking about tho, I saw another chocolate that looked very similar before that stopped me in my tracks.

j 7

Out of state bird license is $115 but upland permit and fishing license come with the tag when I get drawn. It's $50 for the out of state migratory bird in add. to the federal stamp of course.

The birds back there tend to be really bunched up especially after it snows.

They like to hang around the shelter belts around the farm houses.

CNB
Posted by: Magicfly

Re: Pics from MT trip - 12/30/08 04:14 PM

That last pic of Spanky's puzzle worthy.....Awesome.

Mf