Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ??

Posted by: Sol Duc

Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/19/09 11:22 PM

I'm looking for a real clean one..does anyone know where to buy one? Will pay good $$ for something really nice. Thanks Ron
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/20/09 07:20 PM

Gunbroker.
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/20/09 09:12 PM

Ain't nothin wrong with the model 37. It's newest incarnation is the browning BPS.

I'd still rather have an Ithaca 37....classic.

Coincidentally I had my hands on a pristine mod. 12 in 28ga. That's worth a few thou.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/20/09 10:04 PM

I have one from the last year ( 1963 ) that my Father bought that is 99% pristine condition. I remember my Dad telling me that once he heard they were going to stop making it, he called all gun shops around the Seattle area, but they were all sold out..he finally found one at a place in Kent.

He gave me this last year along with a never fired Winchester model 52b made in 1939. This is a heavy barrel target .22 that is the Holy grail amongst competion shooters.

Originally Posted By: stam
I've got my eye on a nearly perfect model 12 in 12 guage, from the mid fifties, just waiting for the old man to loosen his grip a bit

What's his number ? :>)
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/20/09 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Ain't nothin wrong with the model 37. It's newest incarnation is the browning BPS.

I'd still rather have an Ithaca 37....classic.

Coincidentally I had my hands on a pristine mod. 12 in 28ga. That's worth a few thou.
anywhere sell NEW 37s in western WA? ithaca is back in business again, but their dealer locator says the nearest dealer is somewhere in eastern oregon.

would love to have a 20 gauge for some upland hunting.
Posted by: snit

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/21/09 02:58 AM

Lots and lots of Mdl 12's out there (2million plus were made). Field grades in 12ga in decent shape go for $2-400.00.

Watch that 28ga! There's more imitation "build up" 28ga's for sale than total original 28ga's made. Guys take the 20ga's, re-built the receiver and barrel and re-stamp with Winchester trade marks (yes, they even sold those after 1964) and market them as Mdl 12 - 28ga's. I have a buddy who has a bunch of them. Also, watchout for "pigeon grade" guns..again the dies and mark dies were sold and people "build up" the pigeon grade guns from standard grade guns.

Just take a good look and stay away from most dealers. Buying from "old timers" is the way to know what you are really getting.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/21/09 12:25 PM

Sorry, I'll have to die before I part with mine ... both 12's and 16's. What I grew up shooting and still shoot most of the time today ... not that I get out much any more, but what a nice reliable piece of equipment!

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 03/21/09 05:02 PM

Yeah Bob, I agree...I always wanted a 16ga Model 12 for some reason. Even 35 years ago they were still an oddity, you just didn't see many 16ga's. Those purple 16ga shells were kewl looking. I've got an old 16ga sxs "beater" that's been in the family for 100yrs, but it's still fun to shoot quail with.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/03/09 12:38 PM

My grandfather had matching 20, 16, and 12ga Model 12's.

I have the 20, my uncle has the 12 and the 16 is MIA. frown

My uncle won't give up the 12 and I'm not willing to give him my "grandmother's" 20. He's kinda bitter that I got most of my Grandfather's rifles/shotguns and not him. He did get/take that 12, though.

I killed many a pheasant with that 20. Fun gun. I'll hand it down to my kids. That's a family gun that will stay in the family.....
Posted by: GreenRiver

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/03/09 12:49 PM

My Dad's got the Model 12 16ga, and I shot a few pheasant with it years ago. What I liked about it is how light weight it is. It's like carrying nothing.

It sat for 20 years until last spring when my brother, cousin, and I grabbed a bunch of guns to shoot some trap. Discovered it doesn't eject very well anymore. Ya gotta hold the gun sideways and jiggle the crap/shell out of it.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/03/09 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: GreenRiver
Discovered it doesn't eject very well anymore. Ya gotta hold the gun sideways and jiggle the crap/shell out of it.

You should take it apart down to every last part and do a thorough cleaning.

The 20 that I have probably had only been "field cleaned" for 40 years. I finally took it apart to every last screw, cleaned the crap out of it, put it all back together and it's now "Smooth Like Butter". I was amazed at how much "gunk" was really in and on that gun in all the inner-working parts.

Unless the metal is twisted, damaged, or missing, a real thorough cleaning will fix that problem.
Posted by: GreenRiver

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/03/09 01:27 PM

I might try that. Thanks.

One time fishin, my abu 5501c3 got line stuck behind the spool in the gears. Took the spool out, got line out, and couldn't get the side back on for about a half hour.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/03/09 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: GreenRiver
Took the spool out, got line out, and couldn't get the side back on for about a half hour.

I don't recommend fully taking apart your model 12 in the field........
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/03/09 04:18 PM

Shot my first pheasant with a model 12 16 gauge, Dad got his sporterized with the diamond-rib and checkered stock and pump.....beautiful gun.

At 10 yrs old and before I could shoot it, I had to learn to tear it down and clean it.....Semper Fi
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/04/09 01:08 AM

I have my dad's Model 12 12ga that was his dad's. It was bought in the 'teens. I have a Ca hunting license from about 1920 that was in the buttplate. It was cut down with a Weaver VariChoke put on it. I never hunted with it but did shoot it some. Fit great and shot well.
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/22/09 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
I'm looking for a real clean one.

Duc, how about a M-12 trench pump ?

I know I got that bayonet around here someplace....

c/22
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/22/09 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Chum Man
Anywhere sell NEW 37s in western WA? ithaca is back in business again, but their dealer locator says the nearest dealer is somewhere in eastern oregon. I would love to have a 20 gauge for some upland hunting.

C-M, here is a look @ that new model 37

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.html

c/22

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/23/09 11:35 AM

An M-12 trench with the bayonet would kick ass!!!!

I'd take one.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 04/23/09 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
I'm looking for a real clean one.

Duc, how about a M-12 trench pump ?

I know I got that bayonet around here someplace....

c/22

Those are getting spendy.
Posted by: Big Stick

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/22/09 03:35 PM

Which version of the 12 are you looking for?

I see quite a few in my travels and an aged 30" Heavy Duck with very nice wood and exceptional blueing(all original) sticks in my mind in particular. No Cutts or other trash detracting from it and I'm thinking a guy could score it for $1K.

Very nice specimen.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/22/09 05:17 PM

They don't any nicer than this one....2700.00 is outta my price range... cryriver

[email:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128869151]http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128869151[/email]

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/22/09 05:27 PM

A plain barrel wearing a corn cob pump handle,doesn't do much for me. Though I have a few.

You'd [censored] over the beautiful Hvy Duck I mentioned.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/22/09 05:33 PM

For the money you mention:

Link

A good score,if one's inclined.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/22/09 05:39 PM

More my cup of tea:

Link

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/22/09 05:48 PM

Really my cup of tea,as I'm a greater fan of yankin' triggers,than I am gawkin' same behind glass.

Link

I gun a Model 12 12ga 26" Skeet Gun wearing fixed IC and a rib,for light hearted Waterfowling pursuits. LOVE them 12's...especially in a Nickle 16ga punched full.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/22/09 08:03 PM

The only old shotgun I have is an old 1897 with a mfg date of 1909. Fun to shoot with modest loads, but definitely not the beauty that those model 12's are. Shot trap with a model 12 in highschool. Nice solid firearms.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/23/09 12:44 AM

That engraved Mdl 12 is a "trap build-up"...literally 250000+ of them out there. Nice gun, but not a "trap model", and WAY over priced IMO. Nice pretty gun, but the money they're asking is almost Perazzi money (one of the best higher end trap shotguns out there).

Mdl 12's are a solid gun, and rather nostalgic too. Their triggers are rather achaic for most shooting sports (too much lock time). Plus most were 30", full choked guns. If you want to bird hunt with them, then you're handicaping youself at the start. Even if you have one "worked over" with a decent trigger and choke job, you've lowered the market price because it's not original anymore. There has been so many Mdl 12's built that it's very difficult to find one that someone hasn't monkeyed with. If you find a 12ga Pigeon Grade for sale, chances are it's really not a Pigein Grade at all.

If you like them, then get one...but they really won't appreciate much more IMO. Now 28A's and Mdl 42's are different. But there's lots of build-ups and knock off's out there of these versions too.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/24/09 09:15 PM

I'm a Model 12 Slut,as they are easily my favorite.

No flies on the 97 or any trombone that can be fanned.(grin)

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/24/09 09:25 PM

Lock time-schmock time. The Exhibition Shooters of old all gunned 12's.

LINK.

There isn't a Winged Bloodsport in which the Model 12 plays secondfiddle to and curiously enough she's done nice things at the Grand American and similar venues...for ages.
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/26/09 03:14 AM

7 with a pump...Dammm

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/26/09 11:30 AM

Talk about skills....WOW

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/26/09 09:02 PM

Herb was a little bit good and it's but a subtle glimpse into what's possible with a Model 12.

He got by rather well with both centerfire and rimfire too.

As per always,it's the Indian,not the arrow...though beware the best Indian with the best arrows.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/27/09 03:09 PM

I agree it's the Indian, not the arrow.

I still use old ABU 1750's, or even "newer" Shimano 250 Bantams (that are 25 years old), rather than the newest shimano bait casters. Just becasue I liek 'em...just like guys who like Mdl 12's. BUT, in general the newer reels have better a better drag as well as internal precision built parts.

Just like shotguns. A Perazzi (or other proven competition gun) will generally perform longer without maintenance, than a Mdl 12. Mdl 12's were the best at one time, but there's better guns out there now. Not knocking a Mdl 12 at all, but I'm pretty sure it's been a long time since a Mdl 12 won the handicap at the Grand. I'll stick to Perazzi's for games.

Lock time, trigger tuning....do you shoot stock triggers in all your nice custom built-up rifles? If so, good for you. But I need a FAST trigger(crisp 24oz preferably), especially at 27 yards.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/27/09 09:13 PM

Stock fit is the most important thing in regards to the scattergun and many get caught up in the meaningless fluff surrounding same.

As to reels,I couldn't begin to equate a Mitchell 300 to Today's offerings,regarding anti-backlash,favorable braid oscillations,favorable "roller",favorable gear ratio,smoothness,ergo's,spool design for casting distance or much of anything else...in a side by each shootout with a plethora of Today's even midstream offerings. Though the 300 can sure as [censored] take a lick and I'd not starve if it's the only reel I fished.

Now as to scatterguns straight out of the box at the 27yd line,I've zero doubt that Herb can/would shoot cleans Today with an outta da box Model 12 of his choosing. Though of course he's in the Trapshooting Hall Of Fame and lotsa Perazzi Posers ain't.(grin)

Ad Topperwein ran 14,540 consecutive hits on 2.5" blocks of wood tossed in the air,with a 22LR. It'd humble the Perazzi Faction,when their percentages faltered way shy of same. His Wife Plinky broke 100 straight,more than 200 times and 200 straight 14 times. A 2009 Shopping Spree,wouldn't bolster those feats,though Today's ammo is better in relative quality.

Tom Frye gunned 100,004 of 100,010 2.25" wooden blocks with a 22LR(Nylon 66's) and again,that'd be more Perazzi tears in the beer.

As an aside,no scattergunning discipline is easier than Trap and it really isn't much of a test of equipment...though of course a guy can spend $80,000 on a scattergun that'll shoot cleans,just like an 870 from WalMart.

Just as I've no qualm banging 1000yd steel with an outta da box Rem 700 Ti 7-08,though I've a stable full of "fancy" stuff.

This sorta goes back to the Injun.(grin) If forced to suffer stack barrels,it's the K-80.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/29/09 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Stick
Stock fit is the most important thing in regards to the scattergun

Amen!

Shot an 870 for ever and was dead-on with it. Got all fancy and thought I needed a Browning Citori. Stock never did fight right and I almost always was missing on the first shot. Since I shoot left handed with both eyes open, I'd watch the wad miss and correct on target with the second barrel.

That got old. Quick.

I didn't want to mess with a stock adjustment, so I traded it for a one of the newer 1187 SuperMag. Back to dead-on.

The only thing I don't like about a right-handed auto loader is that I watch the bolt kick back at me with my right eye when I shoot. Kinda distracting. Not to mention that if I'm shooting AA trap loads using RedDot, the powder burns kind slow and I'll get some of the spent power in my right eye.

Guess I should be wearing eye protection all the time now......

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 06/29/09 08:54 PM

Red Dot and Green Dot are the worst in a selfshucker,especially if the boat is going fast.(grin)

I've had/have numerous 870's/1100's in Trap guise and do pretty good on the average. At the 27yd line,I've an aged 30" stupid full A5 that is my Huckleberry,as it shoots incredibly round/consistent patterns in a constriction that Briley will barely even stoop.

Have had lots of stackbarrels and side by eaches,but the selfshucker horns me up the most and there's quite a few good ones anymore,whether they current or elder offerings.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 07/06/09 08:08 PM

selfshuckers.

That took me a second after a 4-day weekend

rofl rofl rofl

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 07/06/09 09:03 PM

There was a time when trombones outran selfshuckers,but those days are gone,if/when talking absolutes in regards to the cream of the crop. A good man and a trombone can still open tunnels of daylight through a flock of his choosing,as per whim.

Sorta akin to musing that a revolver is "slow",of poor "lock time" and poor "trigger pull"...until you watch JM drive one.(grin) And as a curiousity he guns a 10lb-ish pull weight,to aid control.

Link.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 07/06/09 09:47 PM

That wheel gun shooting is unreal.

Re: Winchester Model 12 ( 12ga ) ?? - 07/07/09 04:46 AM

He's a little bit good.