Duck Hunters vs. Landowners

Posted by: Rocket Red

Duck Hunters vs. Landowners - 05/11/09 12:38 PM

Interesting article in the Olympian, regarding a hunting spot in Puget Sound.

Link Here

The hunters are utilizing a public waterway, and yet the neighbors are aiming for control of the waterway. I understand if it is an unsafe setting, but if not, it is just another case of someone buying property in an area, then complaining to the jurisdictional powers to suit themselves.

I see it all the time in my biz, but it is always amazing to see.

What is your opinion. The comments on the article are pretty much the standard for any Olympian article.
Posted by: j 7

Re: Duck Hunters vs. Landowners - 05/11/09 01:23 PM

Interesting conflict. I am in support of the duck hunters on this issue, although I do understand the noise issue. Steel shot, plastic, and brass are not hurting anything environmentaly other than litter. There are laws already in place for leaving discarded shells. Put a few gamies out there a couple of weekends checking licences, enforcing laws that already exist, and things will simmer down.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Duck Hunters vs. Landowners - 05/11/09 02:08 PM

I've hunted Little Skookum Inlet (next inlet over) for Scoters after Thanksgiving on a number of occassions. It can be a slaughter, and we made a lot of noise, but a clam farmer client asked us to shoot them, and the 600+ birds raft up there for 6 months eating 50-200 baby clams per day. The clams are about the size of your pinky nail.

All went into sausage.

We did make a bit of a game out of it, trying to drop birds into other's boats. We lined up across the inlet at a point about 200 yards across. The birds don't like to fly over land, and rarely fly more than 40 yards overhead.

We stopped a few year back, as it was almost too easy. In a usual season we would head out for 4-6 days with 7 hunters. 28 birds a day was the take, and they usually would move over to Eld Inlet after 4 days of hard hunting, so they got the message.
Posted by: dewbie

Re: Duck Hunters vs. Landowners - 05/12/09 03:03 PM

i hate it when this type of stuff happens. there is a hill that i used to go hunting and dirt bike riding at in Sequim. A bunch of rich californians moved in and got the area closed off completely. really pisses me off
Posted by: hybridcx

Re: Duck Hunters vs. Landowners - 05/14/09 07:41 PM

you talking about burnt mountain?