Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener.

Posted by: huntncoug

Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/23/09 07:27 PM

Returning to the old stomping ground for this years pheasant opener. We will be hunting mostly private land that we gained access to while in college so it should be pretty good. Hopefully all of the days hunting at the release sites will have my dogs dialed in and ready to go. I will bring a camera and I should have some good pics when I get back.
Posted by: plug puller

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/23/09 07:51 PM

Best of luck and enjoy spending some time over in "God's Country."
Posted by: j 7

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/23/09 08:35 PM

Good luck to ya. It was really wet over here today and had an afternoon and early evening of a soaking type rain. Boots will be tested in the soaked terrain tommorow. I'll be across the river from ya. Be on the look out for Huns, pretty good hatch this year.

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/23/09 08:40 PM

Nice, the last couple years I lived in Pullman the huns were few and far between. How about the quail and pheasant numbers?
Posted by: SnowDog

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/23/09 08:41 PM

Have a great time. I'm looking forward to getting over that way next year. My pup is progressing well and we are having a blast at the release sites.

Cheers!
SnowDog

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/23/09 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: huntncoug
Nice, the last couple years I lived in Pullman the huns were few and far between. How about the quail and pheasant numbers?

From my observations to the south, chuckars and huns are up, pheasants and quail are about the same as last year.

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/23/09 09:15 PM

Thats decent, normally we can get several limits on opening weekend so if it is like last year we should be ok. Although for the last 4 years the pheasant hatch hasnt been very good.

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/26/09 01:04 AM

Started hunting around Palouse at 9am. The first patch we came to had a couple quail but nothing else. As we are coming up to the next piece of good cover two rigs pull up and six hunters jump out in front of us, (not more then 200 yards) and start hunting the same stuff we are. We run up to were they are and are like, "What the Hell, you guys completely corked us!" Evidently they didnt see us and voluntarily let us pass through. We ended up getting two roosters, a couple huns and a few quail. Today we hunted for a while and picked up another rooster and a few more huns. All in all, this is the worst hatch we have seen ever, for pheasants. The hun and quail population were amazing but we were looking for roosters. I think total, with two guys and 3 veteran bird dogs we flushed 5 hens and 4 roosters. Normally in this area we hunt we flush a dozen or more roosters and several dozen hens.
I have some picks,(none of birds) but I will try to post them.

Re: Off to Pullman for the pheasant opener. - 10/26/09 12:50 PM

Pretty sure those guys on 4-wheelers pushed your birds aroud. They could have been there earlier in the week doing the same thing. I think this happend to me last year. I had seen a bunch of birds during muzzleloader season but after rifle season I went back and got skunked opening day as there was not one flush or a happy tail on the dogs.