Had to put her down...

Posted by: snit

Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 06:41 PM

Well, the day finally came to put the 'ol lab down. After 13.5 years it was time. Still sucks! Through marriages, children, litters of puppies, 1000's of birds, whisky, women, jobs, memories, etc, I always had a cold nose nudging my hand for a pet. I tell myself all the cliches..."she lived a good life", "at least I din't lose her in her prime", "she wasn't in pain"...but all you dog lovers know...it still sucks. Glad I've got such an understanding vet. I stopped his house at noon, and it was all over by 12:45, with a tear in his eye too. So, give your favorite pet just a little more attention tonite.
Posted by: j 7

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 07:05 PM

Sad news snit, sorry for your loss. Sounds like you cherished your time with your friend and I'm sure she cherished her time with you.
Posted by: jay dog

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 07:57 PM

Sorry, it is sure hard as a dog lover to hear about your loss. My yellow male just turned five yesterday. Just remember the good times. Good Luck.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 09:38 PM

very sorry to hear snit. Never an easy thing to do, but when you know it is time, it is time. I'll always regret not doing it sooner for a dog in the past. very sad to see your best friend struggle to live. Its going to be a bad bad day when the time finally comes for me with my current dog.
best wishes
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 10:02 PM

Never any fun. Hang in there.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 10:14 PM

Sorry to hear that...remember all the great times. Peace

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 10:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/25/09 11:01 PM

Sorry her time had come Snit. I'm huntin with a 1yr old right now, my 4th lab. Time will pass but the memories WILL stay!
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/26/09 01:54 AM

Sorry for your loss. Takes alot of guts to make that call, never easy, it just f'n sucks. .. . . . .
Posted by: floatinghat

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/26/09 02:06 AM

Snit, Sorry to hear about your loss. Take solice in the fact you did the right thing at the right time.
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/26/09 02:39 AM

My last was cremated and I still have the ashes. Plan on spreading them where we had our best hunt together but haven't made it back to that spot yet. Will try to make it this year with the replacement.
Cant be without one. Sorry for the loss
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/26/09 03:35 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted by: Irie

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/26/09 03:38 PM

Never fun. That's the problem with dogs; They live just long enough for you to get really attached.

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/26/09 09:59 PM

Yeah...I agree Stam and Irie! I had to tell the 5yo today when I picked him up from Kindergarten for his week with my wife and I. A life lesson I'm sure he'll never forget. I remember being 5yo when my old man put one of our retrievers down.

It's about as simple life can get...have fun young, grow up and start work, "figure life out" and enjoy it for awhile, then die.....at least we get to get another pet in the future. This one will sting for awhile.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/28/09 06:14 PM

Hang in there, snit. Mine is 12.5 and it is hard knowing that moment is just around the bend.
Posted by: Tim M.

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/28/09 07:19 PM

I have a good hunting friend in Spokane.He has had to put down two chessie bay retreivers previously.Great dogs.I went in with on a new pup last year.In a regular trip to the vet this spring he was informed of a strain of virus that was unique to the Palouse.An area that we hunt regular.He had the pup vacinated for this virus.The symtons of it were very similiar to what his last chessie died from. I hope this info helps to prevent someone elses heartache.

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/29/09 01:01 AM

KaiserD thanks...it really sucks when you can see what the magic 8-ball WILL say. We all know "when it's time", and probably some of us have seen when somebody waited too long...SAD! Why can't they just go like gramps did, sleeping in the rest home....or sleeping behind the wheel (ok, cruel lol).

Like everybody said or intimated, it's basically a "given "of pet ownership...I appreciate your compassion guys!!!! It seems several of us probably like our pups better than "most" people. I haven't met any of you, but you folks seem like square shooters to me!

Anybody who'd post a "sorry, etc" about an old retired dog you never saw is A-OK in my book!!! Hell.....maybe u did see her swim the Columbia in December/January at Brewster, Wenatchee, Vantage, Ringold, Burbank, or Patterson...NO BS...all the way across and back on multiple occasion. Enough about braggin about my LUCK in getting a great partner.

Not sure if any of you "lab guys" remember the dog trainer Eddie Salvino from the Redmond area in the early 60's until the early 80's? His nephew is a good friend of my dad (Pillar Point Days in the 70's). Eddie was the one who turned us onto Mallard Lake Kennels in Lake Stevens. Thay did have some great Lab genes in the 70's until the mid 90's (TnT).

Anyhow, thanks.
Posted by: Robbo

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/29/09 09:13 PM

Sucks to hear about your dog cuzzin. When you're as into the outdoors as all of us are the dog is more than just a pet. They are family, buddies, counselors, companions, hunting partners, and fishing partners. Here's a shot of Pendleton for the pup!

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/29/09 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: robbo
Sucks to hear about your dog cuzzin. When you're as into the outdoors as all of us are the dog is more than just a pet. They are family, buddies, counselors, companions, hunting partners, and fishing partners. Here's a shot of Pendleton for the pup!

Thanks Kuzz, but you forgot "drinkin buddies" too! LOL
Posted by: Fast and Furious

Re: Had to put her down... - 10/31/09 12:51 AM

I would not tell a kid, I put the dog down. Understanding death is not easy at a young age. Kids dont understand money and why its either not affordable or practical, or medically possible. I took it out on the vet, who was a fishing partner of my father.

Not my business what you said, just wanted to add a perspective of a kid, that didnt like it one bit. Someday, he might see that done to a person. I hope he has the age and the support to deal with it. It can screw you up.

Sorry for your loss.
Posted by: browndog

Re: Had to put her down... - 11/05/09 04:43 PM

Sorry to hear abought your loss.

The no string's attached love one recieves from there best friend is one of the great thing's in life.
Posted by: fishhog

Re: Had to put her down... - 11/10/09 12:57 AM

Snit - sorry for your loss. Nothing worse than losing a good friend!!!
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Had to put her down... - 11/10/09 08:26 AM

Snit, I don't even read this forum, but the title of the thread came up and all dog owners know what that means. Just dropped by to say I'm sorry about your buddy. I have three good friends buried in the field, and two old dogs still kicking around. One is 16 and a half, the other 12. Every one of them takes a chunk of you when they leave.
When you are able, get another....there are lots out there that need a good home.
The best to you.